high-capacity process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pslyde

I am looking to create a high-capacity process.
All this assumes proper safety precautions. No corners will be cut.
Incinerator would have afterburner and scrubber. (My uncle designs scrubber systems for power plants)
High-concentration industrial and lab-grade chemicals.
Remote chemical pumps. Oxidizers would be added via thermal-controlled pump to avoid boil overs.
Magnetic stirring and heating (when needed).

Say I granulate some material, incinerate, re-granulate. - gets rid of plastics, etc
Boil it in HCL, strain,rinse with water, strain. - digest tin and some base metals
AP, strain, rinse with water, strain. (Maybe repeat?) - digest remaining base metals, some PM's
AR, strain, rinse with water, strain. (Maybe repeat?) - digest remaining PM's
Rinse solids with hlc and water a few times, strain.

The reason I say strain is to quickly separate solid from liquid. The liquids would be kept in separate containers.
Some material will be left in the liquids, but they will continue to digest until it is properly filtered.
After filtering, the liquids would be processes by chemical and heat methods.
The solids and filters would be incinerated and re-processed with the next batch.

I'm (fairly) confident I can work out the variables in the chemistry, but I do have a few questions:
1.) Will all solids incinerate or be digested by AP and AR?
2.) Instead of fully processing the liquids, could I use copper to cement all PM's from the AP and AR?
Or should I process out each metal using standard methods? I really don't want to deal with platinum group separation.
I have a relationship with a refinery that will pay by XRF printout. They have other assay methods, but I've used this in the past, and they seem to pay fairly. They let me watch, then send me to get paid on the spot.

Questions? Clarifications? Anything I'm missing?

I fear you may be in for a very expensive shock. Most large processors of e scrap do not try to refine the material as is but granulate, separate and smelt the whole into a copper dore bar which contains the values and all the other metals, this bar is assayed and passed to copper refiners who can include it into their feed, the values will be recovered from the slimes in the copper cells.
The reason they go down this route is the cost of the acids needed to dissolve all the metals, the problem metals such as tin and lead and the cost of efficiently scrubbing the fumes produced and the cost of disposal of the waste stream produced. If they can't make it pay I fear you may well struggle to make it pay to wet refine e scrap and especially low grade hard to refine material.
Cherry pick the materials to treat inhouse and sell the rest on.

Latest posts

Back