How extract Gold & Silver from sulfuric acid solution?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so , if i get more solution, should i evaporate water again until i reach the goo state then dilute and cement ? or just straight start cementing when i get new solution sample.
No. If there are no solids to filter out, go ahead and cement it out. Add an air bubbler to agitate the solution. In a day it should all be out.
Test before and after with stannous.
Is the test result is too faint, evaporate some of it down to test again.

so , if i get more solution, should i evaporate water again until i reach the goo state then dilute and cement ? or just straight start cementing when i get new solution sample.
Cementing with Copper is so simple, that it is hard to believe the originators of this material do not use this method to retrieve any metals left in solution.

Cementing with Copper is so simple, that it is hard to believe the originators of this material do not use this method to retrieve any metals left in solution.
well the owners have another business and are busy people and don't know that this liquid has gold.
they think it just has copper and sulfuric acid , because of that they think they are selling 2.5% copper solution.

i gave a sample to the lab myself and find out about gold and silver.

i think it is not even a proper "company". sellers are not giving me any info unfortunately (tho tbh i didn't tell them this water has so much gold in it either xD).
I feel it is important to know what the original generators of the material do, to generate this material. Have you tested with other analysis equipment, like a Geiger counter, to see if any radio active elements exist?

I feel it is important to know what the original generators of the material do, to generate this material. Have you tested with other analysis equipment, like a Geiger counter, to see if any radio active elements exist?
unfortunately i don't have access to such thing no.
does it matter for only 1 cubic meter of solution?

no it was a clear liquid, with a very pretty green (emerald color) look originally.

redissolve with water again ? then what is the point of evaporate it in the first place ?

thank you for help as well
I meant redissolve in acidic solution. Since it turns into goo when evaporated, I assume that compounds in there are hydrolyzed, and adding acid like hydrochloric acid could restore the solubility.

In your position, I will try to collect as much info as you can about the stuff. Most importantly, you need to know if you are not buying some junk from plating baths, where half of the periodic table is present alongside cyanides, sulfur surfactants and other toxic junk. I was always rationally sceptical about deals like this one.

If I was you, I would openly ask the sellers what is the source of the solution and if there are any toxic chemicals added, mainly if there isn´t any organic junk and toxic elements, cyanides etc or anything that you should know about. If they will be reluctant to give you more info, then that would be major red flag for me.

From perspective of some deleterious elements, you can always perform AAS measurement, where you get "whole periodic table" assayed. Since it is already a solution, it makes it perfect sample to assay, since for AAS you need to solubilize the material. This can cost some extra money, but at least there you can be sure you do not buy "cat in the bag" - as we use to say here :)

Adding to the skepticism, gold is not soluble in sulfuric acid, and silver is only weakly soluble in sulfuric acid. The only acid that will dissolve Gold is Aqua Regia, a combination of Nitric, and HCL, and Silver is insoluble in AR. Having a pregnant solution of both metals in Sulfuric acid doesn't sound possible. I think you may have been scammed, or the person just didn't know what they were talking about.

A simple Google search would give them the process for doing it next to nothing if it were really what they were claiming.

Adding to the skepticism, gold is not soluble in sulfuric acid, and silver is only weakly soluble in sulfuric acid. The only acid that will dissolve Gold is Aqua Regia, a combination of Nitric, and HCL, and Silver is insoluble in AR. Having a pregnant solution of both metals in Sulfuric acid doesn't sound possible. I think you may have been scammed, or the person just didn't know what they were talking about.

A simple Google search would give them the process for doing it next to nothing if it were really what they were claiming.
i have not paid anything yet. i got a sample from tank myself then sent it to a lab myself , lab that doesn't know the sellers at all.

Ag and Au ppms that i wrote in first post are results of that lab.

therefor yes , the gold and silver are there but now i am preparing some stuff with help of this forum to do stannous tests and cementing.

also they do NOT know that there is gold in solution at all i didn't show them lab results

Last edited:

It may come from plating baths.
Sulfuric on its own will not dissolve Gold that is true.
That was the reason for asking the OP what business the owner of the liquid was doing.

i have not paid anything yet. i got a sample from tank myself then sent it to a lab myself , lab that doesn't know the sellers at all.

Ag and Au ppms that i wrote in first post are results of that lab.

therefor yes , the gold and silver are there but now i am preparing some stuff with help of this forum to do stannous tests and cementing.

also they do NOT know that there is gold in solution at all i didn't show them lab results
Interesting. Well I don't know why it would be in Sulfuric acid, but I'm sure somebody out there does!

Back