How to calculate per gram impurity of gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.waqas

If i would have a piece of 100g, 21k gold, mixed with copper & silver. How can i calculate its per gram impurity using density value?

You cannot.
Unless you know the percentage of each metal involved.

You have three metals, you can figure density of two metals in an alloy, and get a fairly accurate idea of each of the two metals proportions involved, but with more than two metals unless you know the percentage of each metal involved it would just be a guess, too many variable combinations, if this is a coin and you could look up the composition of the coin and it could be done or at least you could come closer in your tests, or if a jeweler told you the composition.

Jewelry density charts, and common alloy mix for a certain type of karat gold may help give you an idea or a ballpark range.
They make density charts for common karate jewelry, that can give you somewhat of a clue to if your measurements come close, but even using these look to me to be somewhat of a guessing game.

I have studied only a little bit in this area, so others with more knowledge may be able to answer your question better.

21K gold is 21/24 = .875 or 87.5% gold. Therefore, the impurities are 1 - .875 = .125 or 12.5%. The impurities (silver, copper, zinc, etc.) in 100g of 21K gold would be 100 x .125 = 12.5g

Unless you have compiled a lot of data, comparing the densities of various samples of karat gold with their complete assays, density measurements could only be approximate, at best. Even with this data, a difference in the percentages of the non-gold metals in samples of the same gold content would give different density results.

For precise results, density measurement is not the way to go.

Latest posts

Back