How to keep gold solid when cleaning? anyone

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikesilver

I know that this is probably a very old topic, but Ive tried finding it and have had no results. Ive got a bunch of mash, all foils and specs that i would like to keep solid and clean it to high purity. How is this done? Ive read lots of post that were old, but no real discription. Help please tim

ilikesilver said:
I know that this is probably a very old topic, but Ive tried finding it and have had no results. Ive got a bunch of mash, all foils and specs that i would like to keep solid and clean it to high purity. How is this done? Ive read lots of post that were old, but no real discription. Help please tim
Hmmm!

Have you read Hoke's book?

Didn't think so. (If you had, you wouldn't be asking that question.)

Read Hoke's book. Read it until you understand what she teaches. What you are looking for is a magic way to wash the foils until you've eliminated all contaminants. That's highly unlikely to happen.

Hoke will guide you in purifying your gold.

Harold

ilikesilver said:

There is NO way I'm going to help please tim. I don't even know who he is or what he wants me to do to please him, and I don't want to know!

Tim,

Thank Harold for pointing you back to Hokes book.

Reminds me of not being able to see the forest because all of those trees that are in the way, Hoke's book right there and looking for the answer everywhere, but in her book.

I was confused when he said: "all foils and specs that i would like to keep solid and clean it to high purity". To me, cleaning to a high purity sounds like refining. Keeping them solid sounds like trying to refine WITHOUT dissolving to get rid of the base metals. It scares the heck out of me to see the precious little amount of gold I've accumulated go into a solution where you can no longer see it. Someone I used to work with said all the time; "It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.".

You must realize that the gold plating is not of a high purity to start with. Cobalt or nickel is incorporated in the gold crystal lattice in order to harden the gold and thus improve its wear properties. The average purity of the gold plating on things like fingers and pins is about 99.7%, with the remainder Co or Ni. Therefore, the foils will never reach a high purity by simply "cleaning" them. They must be dissolved and then refined. If the gold isn't at least 99.95%, it can't be considered "pure."

Latest posts

Back