How to make Pd solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeneje

Hey guys quick question here, I'm trying to make a standard testing solution for Pd. When making the solution is better to use just HNO3 to disolve or AR. I have pure Pd i got from Lazersteve to use.
Thanks
Ken

In the world of analytical chemistry there is a concept called matrix matching, whereby you minimize interference by matching up the solvents and basic make-up of the standards to match the solutions being tested.

Along these lines, I would use whatever acid you are using to dissolve the metal, and I would add some of the base metals which you expect to be in your acid as well. Now any outside influences that the solvent or impurities will have on your indicator are matched to your standard.

4metals said:
In the world of analytical chemistry there is a concept called matrix matching, whereby you minimize interference by matching up the solvents and basic make-up of the standards to match the solutions being tested.

Along these lines, I would use whatever acid you are using to dissolve the metal, and I would add some of the base metals which you expect to be in your acid as well. Now any outside influences that the solvent or impurities will have on your indicator are matched to your standard.
Thanks 4metals, I will add some copper to the standard solution for a better test result.
Ken

4metals said:

Is the additional base metal(s) added in a 1:1 ratio?

The concept of matrix matching gets better the closer you match the matrix of the actual unknown. In analytical chemistry using instrumentation this is a little easier to do because you analyze heavily diluted samples.

In this case it is hard to make a standard which will work in every case at the greatest efficiency so I would at least aim for the presence of some of the more prevalent base metals in the expected concentration. This will go a long way towards eliminating erroneous results, false positives and the like.

If my opinion matters, for what it's worth, I'd suggest that pure standard solutions be prepared. What is most important is that you are able to identify the presence of each element of interest. Various testing procedures will allow them to be sorted from one another, but in order to identify their presence, you must know what they look like when tested.

All of my standard solutions were made pure. If I had a question about how two or more might appear when tested, it was easy enough to combine them.

I do not recall ever having a test not reveal the presence of metals of interest, even when there was an abundance of base metal in solution. The sole exception might have been when there were traces of gold and palladium present, at which time secondary testing might be required. That's easily accomplished by using ferrous sulfate and DMG, to determine which of the two might be present.

I also do not recall ever getting false positive readings, although I did not use SMB to precipitate. It could be that such a reaction is limited to its use. I can not say, as I have no experience in that regard. The nearest I ever came to the brown reaction noted by others is when my stannous chloride was nearing the end of its useful life, at which time it often reacted very poorly to dilute solutions.

Harold

Latest posts

Back