How to remove fused gold from crucible

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba fett

I recently bought an antique African gold refining melting pot and crucibles set, they are cast iron and brass mix of some sort, they have a think layer of gold that is fused to the bottom and the walls. I was wondering if there is any way I can remove this gold? I'd like to be able to make a little button from this gold, seems like a waste to let all that gold not fill my bank account. :) I have not tried in any way to remove it yet just wondering what you guys may offer as advice. Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• gold pot.jpg
    gold pot.jpg
    542.7 KB
So how do you strip the cell wall? And more importantly I WANT the gold, I don't want to loose it by sanding/stripping.

bubba fett said:
So how do you strip the cell wall? And more importantly I WANT the gold, I don't want to loose it by sanding/stripping.

The method put forward by Geo will give you the gold, use the search at the top right of the page to find info on the sulphuric cell. Reading will get you the answers you seek.

bubba fett said:
I recently bought an antique African gold refining melting pot and crucibles set, they are cast iron and brass mix of some sort, they have a think layer of gold that is fused to the bottom and the walls. I was wondering if there is any way I can remove this gold? I'd like to be able to make a little button from this gold, seems like a waste to let all that gold not fill my bank account. :) I have not tried in any way to remove it yet just wondering what you guys may offer as advice. Thanks in advance...
It would be my advice that you research this a little before jumping to conclusions. I'm more than just a little bit troubled by your description of the items being cast iron and brass. That makes no sense, as brass melts at a much lower temperature than does gold, so they obviously contain no copper alloy of any description, or they weren't used for melting gold. Further, anyone with the least bit of experience knows that metallic vessels are not acceptable for melting gold, as molten gold is a strong solvent and would dissolve the vessel, cutting its useful life short, but, more importantly, contaminating the gold.

The first thing I'd recommend is that you determine if there IS gold present. You can read how to test for gold in Hoke's book. You should read that book before making any attempt to recover the values, assuming they are there to recover. I have my doubts.

Harold

i hate being the one to mess up someones good feeling about something so i didnt mention it before. from the picture, it looks like the pieces were painted with gold colored paint or covered in gold leaf. there are many scammers in the world looking to prey on people that know nothing about what it is they are selling or buying as the case may be. Harold V is one of our most senior members as well as a moderator. if he says its doubtful then you can bet you got took.if anyone on this forum can spot something out of place, it will be Harold.

Latest posts

Back