How to remove oxygen from metal powder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenic123

Hey guys, I received a metal powder today which contain Iridium and oxygen. I tested it on fishers XRF machine. Now the analysis report says this...

Iron : 0.389
Iridium : 88.014
Copper : 0.387
Oxygen : 11.211

Now if I give a quick nitric wash it will remove copper and Iron and I will be left with only Iridium and oxygen. So any ideas how to remove oxygen and make it pure ?

I thought of treating it with Oxygen/hydrogen torch (The one used to melt platinum powder but not till 2000 degree but around 1000 degree) but that would burn the Iridium powder and Iridium will be of no use, correct ?
Is there a easy or better or alternate way to remove oxygen from it?

Thanks

I am afraid that I cant tell them to do that. I am actually testing it in a lab and it is not a gun but a big machine which is fitted in a room and I have tested similar metal powder and got the report without oxygen. I have attached the report for the same here. So if oxygen is not present it wont show. Sorry for blurry image.
Any other suggestions???
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20160919-WA0034~01.jpg
    IMG-20160919-WA0034~01.jpg
    38.8 KB
Yep. I know that.. So should I try at around 900 degree to remove oxygen?
Or is there any other way to remove oxygen??

arsenic123 said:
Yep. I know that.. So should I try at around 900 degree to remove oxygen?
Or is there any other way to remove oxygen??
No, you should try around 1100 degrees Celsius. He's saying that is the temperature at which iridium oxide decomposes into iridium and oxygen.

So if I apply a temperature of more than 1100 but less than 2200 or between 1200-2200 it shouldn't be a problem, right??

You want to get hot enough to decompose the oxide but not too hot to melt the metal. There is a lot of room between the 2 temperatures. Ideally you will do this under an atmosphere without oxygen.

Latest posts

Back