how to remove the salt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of salt and how did you get it in your cement silver?

i refine 150 grams of silver in nitric acid, the metal was fully disolved then i add litel water and 150 grams of salt to recover the pure silver, i saw a white cement in tha base then i wash it in tapwater the i melt that cement, i cannt get the full silver,i get only 30% of silver,and some like stone, i dont no wat do do pls help me,

you are processing it wrong. you are forming silver chloride.you are trying to melt AgCl directly.it has to be converted to elemental silver before melting. there are a couple different methods of reducing the AgCl to elemental silver. search the forum for silver chloride. check out the guided tour in Lazersteve's signature line and follow the link to the reactions list. also follow the link in his signature line to his website and watch his free videos. theres a few on silver and two shows the conversion of silver chloride to elemental silver.

rajkumarkp,

You can get a big flat bar of cleaned copper metal (old buss bar from an electrical panel), and hang it in solution, stir solution every once in a while, the silver in solution as a nitrate will cement out of solution, as the copper goes into solution, the copper gives up electrons to the silver who is missing electrons, the solution should be just slightly acidic, brush off the copper bar store for use later (I use a plastic bag), this cemented silver is elemental silver powders although it looks gray like cement powders, which can be washed and melted without conversion.

Much of your silver chloride will vaporize as white smoke, if you try and melt it without converting it to a metal.

It is usually better not to make silver chloride if you do not have to,
Try the copper bar and see if it does not work better for you.

Latest posts

Back