how would you do this

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radical351

or which is a good idea. i have heard of just putting in hcl/cl . if i use ap the gold does come off but it comes off like metal flake paint, so i filter it and it passes thru the filter.am i doing something wrong or just playing with a garbage board.

any help would be great
thank you all
ray

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    227.7 KB
cut in shorter lengths and dissolve the gold directly in hcl/cl. it sounds like it doesn't have alot of base metal anyway and you may be losing what little value you have on them. discontinue the AP and go straight to hcl/cl dissolution.

I agree. Did this come from a projection tv? If so,it's just flash plated,use A/C.

Generally, the higher ratio of base metals to gold, the greater the benefit of dissolving the base metals first.

The best advise I've heard about solid values getting stuck in filters, is to avoid that type of filtering. Instead decant the solution, and allow the gold to settle in the original container. If you keep putting gold solids into a filter, you will end up saving many filters in a container, for incineration later---just extra storage and extra steps.

However, when the gold is in solution, that's when you want to put the solution through a filter, to leave the junk in the filter, so you can precipitate from the cleaned solution.

i tried this in hcl/cl and it didnt do any thing, maybe i did something wrong. i bought this from a local guy here and have close to 50 lbs of this stuff. i did send a pm to all 3 of ya.

I wonder if the AP method would would better than dissolving the
gold with HCL/cl to start with as the little boards like kind of like
gold finger boards.

After you get your foils off the board, then you dissolve the foils
using HCL\cl.

glorycloud said:
After you get your foils off the board, then you dissolve the foils
using HCL\cl.

i did this or should i say i tried this. when it is in the ap process it is so fine it passes thru my coffee filter. it doesnt come off like fingers do. ill send you a section of this if you want to tackle it.

just pm me your address

ray

this could be a head scratcher. its difficult to deal with AP without being able to filter. if you try to dilute the solution and let the foils settle, water will react with the copper II chloride and make large white crystals that will trap the fine gold. the addition of hcl to dissolve the crystals will leave you back where you started.i see the need to dissolve the gold from the piece as is.if hcl/cl doesn't dissolve the gold from the piece perhaps someone with a little more experience with the process can make it happen. i have dissolved large gold solids using hcl/cl before, i don't recommend it but at the time i didn't understand the AR method fully and didn't want to try something i didn't know. its very slow but it can be done. a small trick to dissolving solids with hcl/cl is to work with a chilled solution in an ice bath. the reaction is an exothermic reaction and produces heat which drives the chlorine from your solution, by keeping the solution cool you can keep the chlorine in solution longer which gives it more time to dissolve the gold.

water will react with the copper II chloride and make large white crystals that will trap the fine gold.

You may get a reasonable result using dilute HCL for your rinses. Keeping it hot and moderately acidic is what I would try instead of filtering.

Anyone know the PH at which the white copper chloride crystals form?

The percentage of base metals to gold,should not be high enough to cause any ill effects from running them directly in AC,or maybe Hcl and a little bit of NaNo3.The best chance for filtering will be full dissolution,filter the contaminents,then precipitate with copperas. Decant,redissolve with AC,filter with a plug,then precipitate as normal,wash and melt.

i remember reading about a "charmin plug" and i completely forgot about it. i will try that one. that just might be the solution on this.

thanks ray

Ray,

how did those pieces come out? did it work like i showed you? i tried the few pieces you sent and cant get enough to weigh on my scale. it only weighs to 0.01 and i don't think it was close to that.the gold on those things are super thin and you would need to do a pound at a time to get enough gold to precipitate at any appreciable amount. let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back