Hydrogen Peroxide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.

The stronger the peroxide the more likely the gold foils will be dissolved.

If the peroxide is strong enough all the foils will be dissolved and mixed with the base metals. When the bulk of the base metals absorb into the solution they will most likely precipitate the dirty gold back out as a fine black/brown powder. It's similar to the balance in the other dissolving reactions where excessive oxidizer will keep the gold dissolved until the oxidizing chemicals are used up.

This dirty gold powder will still need to be redissolved to refine to 24kt. If you want to dissolve your gold foils using just HCl and strong H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) that would be a slower, yet an acceptable alternative to HCl-Cl or AR.

Steve

Almost sounds like if you use the higher concentration Hydrogen peroxide, throw in a penny to be absorbed into the solution and push out the gold.

For people that dont want to commit a crime and destroy a penny (pure copper ones are 1982 and earlier) toroids on computer mother boards can be used. Toroids are those round hoops with copper wrapped on the outside of them. Simply crush the ring(its brittle) and you can unfurl the copper wire and use that to precipitate out the gold with strong H2O2. You can also use this wire to cement out silver instead of copper pipe. More will be needed, but when its free from the computer versus buying it at a hardware store, the savings add up.

Evil,

I would not recommend using copper to precipitate gold from any solution as the copper tends to contaminate the gold powder and you never get your gold pure. You would be defeating the purpose of refining if you use copper to precipitate gold. Plus the copper will also form other precipitates like copper (I) chloride when the solution becomes saturated with copper. This is the familiar of white powder you may have seen in the foils after using AP.

Copper wire is not a good choice for cementing silver due to the fact that it is thin and tends to break up into smaller pieces of copper which ultimately do not dissolve and end up mixed in with the silver powder. This is why a copper bus bar or some form of thick copper is specified in the cementing process.

When choosing a precipitant always look for one that is specific to the material you want to precipitate with little or no other side reactions.

Steve

Has anyone used strong hydrogen peroxide and HCl with cpus or pins? It seems like this would be more user friendly than full blown AR, if it worked.

Hello Skyline

I really hope that this works . I plan to refine a garage full of disks, boards and CPU's, and this peroxide-methode seems less dangerous...

To Steve : The DVD and Hokes book arrived safely Norway. I hope if I have some questions I can ask. Thank You.

Qio,

I'm glad you got the book and DVD okay.

I can assure you that AP will work with CPUs and other gold plated electronic scrap.

I will be happy to assist you anyway I can.

Steve

Hi Qio: I would like to add a point, that once the AP process has loosened all the gold foils on your scrap, remove the barren scrap and cool down the solution and residues to near around 5-10 deg. C.

This will precipitate most of the gold held in solution, overnight. There may be so little left, its not worth working further.

Al

:)

Hi EVO,

Not really, it's the wife that studies all that stuff!

We have a very large piece of artwork in the house that looks almost identical to my avatar.

The wife is the most methodical, balanced, chilled out girl i've ever met. I'm totally the opposite, which according her, is the reason we are still together after all this time!

Dunno, maybe there's something in it if she can put up with me for 30 odd years! lol :lol:

Regards
Buzz

Latest posts

Back