I am way new at this HELP!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lairdkeffer

Ok so here is what I have done ...and I hope I havent messed up my first batch but I went small just in case

I used muriatic acid 31.45% to disolve the other metals away from the gold how ever I noticed last night on my first test jar that the gold plating that was on the peices of metal I put in the jar seemed to have come off and I was left with what appeared to be bear looking metal ...where did the gold go is it in the solution of acid just floating there doing its own thing ??

if it is what do I need to do to get it out ? I noticed my acid had turned a slight greenish color is this good or bad ?

if you can help I would be much obliged

Welcome to the forum.
You have done nothing wrong, your gold has detached itself from the base metals, the colour of your solution points to copper which can't dissolve in hydrochloric without an oxidiser, the acid has taken oxygen, the oxidiser, from the air to consume your copper. Keep going but be patient you want all the base metals to dissolve or they will cement any gold in your solution back onto them, try adding a bubbler to your set up it speeds things up, your gold will appear as a black powder at the bottom of your solution once all the base metals have been consumed.
I suggest reading C.M.Hoke, free as a download off many members signature lines, and visit the welcome in thread and spend plenty of time on the safety section, this is a hobby you need to fully understand and you have luckily found the only place to have honest answers and proper advise.

lairdkeffer

Im new to the forum myself, but i have been around the refining for a little bit not as long as alot these guys & gals on here! And i want to say what I know the others are going to tell you, and they are right.

Have you read Hoke? If not keep reading it until you start understanding it, and keep reading it after that make it one your main guides!

Now what I've learned is even if you mess a batch up do not throw it out your precious metals are still there so never throw any away. Now I do know it would be easier for anyone here to help you if they had more detail like some pictures? What was the material you were working with? Any, and all info you can provide.

Now sounds to me since you are saying all you used was muriatic acid to disolve the other metals away from the gold your gold would either be floating somewhere in there or posibly disolved in the acid that is what happens when you use the AP=Acid/Preoxide method the gold will kinda peel off and float. now the bear looking metal you are describing would be the base metals since you didnt mix anything with the muratic there was nothing there to help eat the base metals up.

Now the greenish color thats ok so dont worry you are describing is where some the base metals di disolve its the same when you use some the other methods the base metal will make the solution start that color then get darker as it goes on.

At this point I dont feel comfortable to maybe try tell you what to do until I know more about the things you were working with maybe some these more experientced people on here would have no problem, but its always good to know as much about the project as we can before giving advice just to be safe hope you understand.

You are with a good group people here like I said i myself have'nt been here long, but since I have i've met some good people alot are just down to earth as can be always willing to help once they know as much about what there giving advice for so no one gets hurt. I've had quite few send me private messages we just chat back and forth some not even about the forum. Since i have been here I've even learned more myself your at a good place just read Hoke, and anything else here you can the more you read the better you will understand how it all fits together (If) you understand what your reading.

Welcome to the forum, and don't worry I've botched up batches as well I'm sure alot the more experienced ones have as well somewhere in thier learning.

Thank you thank you ... you guys and gals are awsome and have relived some of my fears all ready I can not wait to learn more

and I will be reading Hoke very soon

Latest posts

Back