I cooked my pregnant AR down to a solid now its full of salt!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I over shot my nitric so I cooked the AR down to a solid and added more HCL but it's still full of salt. What should I do next?
Of course it is full if salts, they usually do not evaporate.
But there should not be any mote Nitrates and Nitric left.
So what is your plan with the salts?
Drop the Gold?
Then add HCl until it is all dissolved and then drop it with your preferred method.

I over shot my nitric so I cooked the AR down to a solid and added more HCL but it's still full of salt. What should I do next?
AR solution is full of soluble chlorides, that do not evaporate. And as it is already completely saturated with chlorides, putting HCL (fairly concentrated chloride - 10+ molar by the way) will do what is expected - rise the chloride content and crash out the chlorides as precipitates - as they cannot be dissolved anymore.
Never go to the evaporated solutions with water, always use HCL to re-chlorate and lower the pH. Then, re-dissolve crashed salts by adding enough water.

Cooking AR to the solid is not the best practice, as long as you have base metals in it - they can de-chlorinate and produce hydroxide-chloride like compounds which aren´t soluble. Evaporate to the syrup, then re-acidify/re-chlorinate complexes with HCL.

And friendly advice, avoid evaporation de-noxing by designing the process in a way that you don´t need it. It is very wasteful in terms of used energy, very messy and quite bad for the life expectancy of fumehood and hood fan (condensation and wet acidic fumes). Nitric acid/nitrates aren´t only oxidizer available, and also you do not need to add excess to be good :)

Thank you for your insightful knowledge! I know for sure I couldn't do anything I've done without you guys! I am so grateful to have you guys

Latest posts

Back