i found a scrap source but...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malikjob07

Dear friends :
Actually i found a source of scrap, and basically it is a rolls of sim card , so i start using my solution but it eat all the gold plated, i think the gold is very very thin in there .And i left with only cooper.
Is there any other solution to get the gold out there ?
Thank you..........

I would suggest testing your solution with stannous, if you still have copper left all that's happened is you dissolved the gold which then promptly cemented back out of solution and will now be either on the bottom of your container, attached to the remaining copper or both.

malikjob07 said:
i'd used 2 hydrochloric acid and 1 hydrogen peroxide 10v
(emphasis mine)

Were you plating it out? If you were just using Acid/Peroxide (AP) to kickstart a copper chloride etch, why mention 10 volts (assuming v=volts)? If AP, did you use a bubbler?

UncleBenBen said:
Any body know where a guy can buy some new brain cells?
I'm looking to change my cells too, I've tried scrapyard for used ones without luck and new ones are impossible to find. I think we should take care of the few left working cells we have!

Marco

As Nick said, if you still have copper left as a metal, any gold that was dissolved has probably cemented out and is now mixed with the remaining copper. I assume your goal was to create some CuCl2 (aka AP) solution. We've learned over the years that you only need a tiny amount of H2O2 to start the process, not a 2:1 ratio. I only use a capful of H2O2 when starting a new batch, and I put some plain copper wire in to consume the peroxide. Then you can add your gold plated material with less danger of dissolving the gold.

Another way of processing them would be to use nitric acid to dissolve the copper, leaving the gold behind.

For your current batch, add an air bubbler and let the process continue till all the copper has been dissolved. The gold should remain as a very fine powder.

Dave

malikjob07,
Just to hammer home one point on the sage advice already given:

Because you have dissolved some or all of your gold, and as has already been mentioned that it will have been cemented out again as a fine brown powder, you should let your leach keep running until all the copper is dissolved. Every bit. It's not good enough to just have clean copper visible and to think you can skip to the end.

This is because some of the gold could have cemented on the rear surfaces of the copper where you can't get at it.

Latest posts

Back