I need a bit of math help?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macfixer01

HI,
I wonder if someone more knowledgable could assist me with the math on this? I have an opportunity to buy a 10-Foot roll of some 24K gold wire and I'm trying to determine it's value without having access to the actual product. The seller measured it with a caliper and says it's 0.16mm in diameter. So if one Inch is 25.4 millimeters that gives me 1/25.4 or about .03937 multiplied by .16 so the wire ought to be .006299 or just under 63/1000ths of an inch in diameter. At that point I'm kinda stuck given that the wire is round not square and I don't know the density of gold or exact formulas to use. Will someone assist please? I'm just trying to figure out the weight as closely as possible to determine a value.

Thanks
macfixer01

glondor said:
Can you not just weigh it? Is 10 feet the correct number?

No as I said I don't have access to the material to just weigh it. I got the answer I needed though thanks to the calculator Jim recommended.

Thanks

I'm kind of dense I guess. I pictured a 10 foot diameter roll of Gold wire. I was thinking the weight would have to be in tons.... :|

1.183 grams from using the calculator. That's the same answer I got doing it as below.

[(.16/25.4)/2]2 x pi x 12 x 10 x 16.387 x 19.3 = 1.183

or

(.016/2)2 x pi x 2.54 x 12 x 10 x 19.3 = 1.183

Sorry, I shortened the .006299 to .006 in the calculator.
I am used to using the Dendritic's calculator where any
more than 3 digits won't work.
That extra four digits adds up.

Jim

Palladium said:
jimdoc said:
That extra four digit adds up.

Jim

Hummm....

.999 gold
or
.9999 gold. Rotfl :p

Thanks to everyone. It seemed worthwhile since it was around $64 worth of gold at yesterday's spot price and he wanted $49.99, so I bought it. I actually got the seller to take a slightly lower offer of $45 since I had already bought another auction item from him. I actually won another way too though, since the seller is not too far away and I can pick the items up without paying shipping. He also says he has other things he's sure I'd be interested in. 8)

Thanks again,
macfixer01

Back