i need help with materials

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ovidiuanghel

I have aprox. 10 MT of plastics with metal coating but i don't have a clue what materials are.

It can be Aluminium, Nichel or Chrome. How can i get it from plastic parts and is a chemical test for this materials?

And another thing, how can i get cooper from auto wire?

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    539.1 KB
  • PICT0784.JPG
    PICT0784.JPG
    174.1 KB
Ovidiuanghel,

You do realize this is the GOLD REFINING FORUM.

We specialize in gold, silver and platinum group metals. You are asking for ways to profitably recover material we view as unwanted trash metal.

Our recovery methods generally leave these trash metals in an acid reduced form that once recovered have lost any industry recognizable hallmarking so the metals are worth very little if anything.

Hopefully someone will be able to point you in a direction where you can find useful information.

Tom C.

ovidiuanghel said:
I have aprox. 10 MT of plastics with metal coating but i don't have a clue what materials are.

It can be Aluminium, Nichel or Chrome. How can i get it from plastic parts and is a chemical test for this materials?

10 MT = 10 Metric Tons

OR

10 MT = 10 Million Tons

???

http://metalprices.com/FreeSite/metals/cr/cr.asp

Chrome @ $2.50 per pound.

the parts on the top can sometimes be sold as "Baling", a unique scrap industry term for low-quality copper bearing materials. for about 7 cents a pound.

or you can clip each wire off, and sell just the wires, and get up to $1 a pound. but it's a lot of time.

and then sell the left-overs to a scrap metal dealer, MAYBE, for 7 cents a pound.

>> can you post a picture of the distinct chrome-plated parts ?

i have been on the design end of plated plastic parts - for the electronics industry. that involved getting a tour of Crown City plating, who made parts very similar to what you show in the picture.

one thought is to "sit on them" - to wait for chrome to go up in price.

also this thread might belong in the industrial / base metal forum category.

Photobacterium said:
ovidiuanghel said:

10 MT = 10 Metric Tons

OR

10 MT = 10 Million Tons

???

http://metalprices.com/FreeSite/metals/cr/cr.asp

Chrome @ $2.50 per pound.

the parts on the top can sometimes be sold as "Baling", a unique scrap industry term for low-quality copper bearing materials. for about 7 cents a pound.

or you can clip each wire off, and sell just the wires, and get up to $1 a pound. but it's a lot of time.

and then sell the left-overs to a scrap metal dealer, MAYBE, for 7 cents a pound.

>> can you post a picture of the distinct chrome-plated parts ?

i have been on the design end of plated plastic parts - for the electronics industry. that involved getting a tour of Crown City plating, who made parts very similar to what you show in the picture.

one thought is to "sit on them" - to wait for chrome to go up in price.

also this thread might belong in the industrial / base metal forum category.

i have 10 metric tones and i don't know if is Chrome, nickel or aluminium plate.

i need help from someone to tell me a chemical that i can use to identify the material

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    599.6 KB
hcl (muriatic acid) will react immediately to aluminum. a couple of drops on a piece will rule it out quickly. nickle plated will be magnetic. i believe the test for nickle also reacts to chromium, so one of our more experienced members will have to take it up from here.

obviously testing the plated plastic parts is good procedure.

i think they will turn out to be chrome plated.

one question is, what is your cost to store them ?

i've not ever seen a" chrome-recovery-from-plated-plastic" profitable angle in the scrap business.

if storage costs are close to zero, one option is to store them & wait for the price of chrome to go up.

they also have a function that is useful that could aid in their re-marketing - they can be used in conjunction with a small solar cell to increase the output of the solar cell. you might get some decent 'nibbles' by advertising in a solar techology magazine. in the right design, a reflector like that might be worth 5 to 10 cents. it can increase the input to a small solar cell from a normal ambient like 70 watts per square foot, to 130 watts per square foot.

Nuts & Volts magazine is a good outlet for classified ads like that.
http://www.nutsvolts.com/

people sell all sort of surplus there.

and there is also WierdStuff Warehouse in Santa Clara California.

http://www.weirdstuff.com/

they cater to electronics hobbyists in Silicon Valley.

it wouldn't hurt to give a box of the reflectors to your local electronics surplus store(s). if they find that they can-re-sell them to electronics hobbyists - they'll be back to buy more.

Photobacterium said:
obviously testing the plated plastic parts is good procedure.

i think they will turn out to be chrome plated.

one question is, what is your cost to store them ?

i've not ever seen a" chrome-recovery-from-plated-plastic" profitable angle in the scrap business.

if storage costs are close to zero, one option is to store them & wait for the price of chrome to go up.

they also have a function that is useful that could aid in their re-marketing - they can be used in conjunction with a small solar cell to increase the output of the solar cell. you might get some decent 'nibbles' by advertising in a solar techology magazine. in the right design, a reflector like that might be worth 5 to 10 cents. it can increase the input to a small solar cell from a normal ambient like 70 watts per square foot, to 130 watts per square foot.

Nuts & Volts magazine is a good outlet for classified ads like that.
http://www.nutsvolts.com/

people sell all sort of surplus there.

and there is also WierdStuff Warehouse in Santa Clara California.

http://www.weirdstuff.com/

they cater to electronics hobbyists in Silicon Valley.

it wouldn't hurt to give a box of the reflectors to your local electronics surplus store(s). if they find that they can-re-sell them to electronics hobbyists - they'll be back to buy more.

My cost to store them is zero, i work on a plastic recycling plant and this plastic result from disassembled of auto headlights
Is a material that is not recyclable.

I read somewhere that some of the higher end cars head light reflectors were plated with Rhodium.

Latest posts

Back