I want to get rid of some old chems.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvonbug

A long time ago, a friend brought me 2 cases of chemicals they had found in an old assay lab that was abandoned in the 50's or sometime. Unfortunately, I've still got them. I'm planning on getting rid of them by turning them in to the chemical drop off place near me. But I found some oxalic acid among them and I know this is good for dropping out gold, though I haven't used it myself. But I was looking for some sodium nitrate cuz I want to make some nitric acid cuz I'm out of it. Anyways, I thought I'd make a list of the chems and maybe someone could tell me if any of these would be useful in gold refining. I understand that some of these may have become unstable, thats why I want to get rid of them. But some may still be good? They have been stored in a cool dry place, in the dark for a long time and undisturbed. Here's the list:
calcium chloride dihydrate
" " purified
" hydroxide
" oxide (lime)
sodium phosphate (tribase)
" acetate trihydrate
" chlorate
" carbonate anhydrous
" bicarbonate
potassium chloride
potassium nitrite
magnesium chloride, 6-hydrate
barium chloride code III crystals
tris(hydroxymethyl)aminomethane
dextrose, anhydrous
ascorbic acid (vit C)
alum
and oxalic acid, which I already know is good stuff.
Any advice? Thanks, yvonbug

Sodium chlorate is used in Pd refining.
Sodium carbonate is a flux and can be used to convert AgCl to Ag in a melt
Potassium nitrite can probably be used to precipitate gold
Dextrose can be used, along with NaOH, to convert AgCl to Ag
I think Ascorbic acid can be used as a reducing agent for Ag or Au

Potassium nitrate can be used to make poorman's nitric or poorman's AR. It is also an oxidizing flux for some fire assaying.

Edit. Sorry I mis-read your post. I will try to be more careful with "ite", "ate", and "ide".

It's potassium nitrite that I have, not nitrate. If I had a nitrate, I could possibly make nitric acid. Which is what I want to do. Unfortunately, I have no nitrates. I wonder, If I had any fertilizer, how would I get the nitrates out of that? Even if I could?

i would be extra carefull and would still get rid of it all
because unless u test it all first before u mix anything
u assume what is written on the package or bottle is what is inside---- what if it's something else??? :oops:

That barium chloride is mighty toxic. How much is there?

There's a good chance that the ascorbic acid is uselessly oxidized by now, given it's age and sensitivity. The calcium oxide and hydroxide are most likely mostly calcium carbonate by now.

The chlorate, nitrite, and barium chloride are the only things you could consider dangerous there.

I'll check the weight on that barium in the morning. Thank-you all for the info. I guess I'll get rid of all of it (but I'll keep the oxalic acid). Being that they are so old. I wonder if I'll get in trouble when I turn this stuff in? They wont want to come back to my house or anything like that, will they? eeek!

YvonBug,

I believe you are looking for a nitrate fertilzer. The fertilizer formula would probably be 50-0-0. This means 50% nitrogen,0% other ingredients except fillers. They make a 100-0-0 fertilizer, however I don't think we can buy it.

Then I think you would look for some dilute battery acid from Napa, or "Possibly Walmart" The only drain cleaner in a bag, hardware section. In either case boiling down the sulphuric would be advised. Look for topics on the forum for "Poorman's Nitric" , and be safe. Napa battery acid is usually advised as the Walmart brand drain cleaner usually has additives. "Buffers"

I strongly recommend you read up on the process involved, and read up on the MSDS for all the chemicals involved. The first time I made poorman's nitric with a Shor affiliate's help I was lucky I tried it in the winter time as I had an Ice bath close at hand. I was also lucky to avoid foam-overs from the reation of warm sulphuric with nitrates.

Good Luck and Be Safe,
Nick

Back