IC Chip Processing Advice Needed

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_opolis

I have been processing fingers, pins, and CPU's with a good deal of success( thanks to this EXCELLENT forum ). I use the AP method, followed by HCL/ bleach, then SMB.
I now have about 40 lbs of IC's leftover. Most of this came from 486 and earlier, with about 25% from 8088. Also, I have about 5 lbs of old EPROMS( some with gold ).
I know I have to crush to a fine powder( 200 mesh), and disolve the base metals. I would like to use AP, as I rather not deal with nitric. Where I'm a little stuck is how do I deal with a Au/ Ag/ Pd/ and who knows what else soup?
Maybe I'm a little optimistic, but I think that these are worth processing. If nothing else, at least I'll know the yield, and will report these numbers to the forum. I have advanced searched this site to death on this subject, and have come up with very little info. Either there are very little PM's in this type of material ( hence the lack of interest), or nobody cares to tackle it.
I would appreciate any advice with this endeavor.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a thread that may be relative to your question:

Leaching Crushed Board Material

and a second thread that deals with the yields:

Black IC Yields

I've only performed small scale experiments (test tubes) on the mixed black ic's that are found on the various printed circuit boards, nothing large scale to date.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. The 1 g Au/ kilo and 11 g Ag/ kilo yield on the " small rectangular IC's " sound promising.
I am going to incinerat first, then grind. Then use an AP soak to eat up the base metals. How do I seperate the various metals that will be this liquor? I realize that most if not all the gold will be left behind, but do I drop Ag first, and then proceed to Pd ( if any values are there)? What would be a good plan of action?

Thanks,

Thanks,

Robert

Hell, there is silver in it too?

Since I'm obviously am to stupid to wash the gold from my incenerated IC's (started with about 1.3kg IC's), I'm not sure, what chemical way would be the best. At first I thought of a kind of iodine-leaching using a aquariumfilterpump with the IC-mud as the "filter", but that's too unproven and for the next time I have enough of trial and error.

Just now I think about washing it with 4M Hno3 some days without H2O2 to dissolve basemetals and maybe Ag and Pd? Then incenerate again and use HCl/Chlorox?

without H2O2, because I don't want to let any gold be dissolved....would that be good way? Since I've really enough of playing around long apart from the big road, need some results again :lol:

Latest posts

Back