Identification

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devildog

Hello all,
I have a cross here that appears to be 14k. I have review a lot of postings, but have mixed signals on what this means?
This piece is stamped 14 KB? Have done a deep scratch test, and 14k acid did not eat it up.
Just curious as to what this 14 KB means? Maybe a makers mark?
Hope this finds everyone doing well and as usual, I am extremely grateful for all the knowledge and education each of you shares with me.
CHEERS!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240724_231605_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240724_231605_eBay.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 0
Weigh it dry and then divide that weight by the weight-increase when you submerge it in water, without touching the bottom. In equal unit's; grams / grams e.g.

It will tell you how much grams per milliliter(cc) are there, the you can compare it to a 14K density.
https://victorcanera.com/education/jewelry/platinum-vs-gold#:~:text=Gold's density at 14KT ranges,more dense than 14KT gold.

"Gold's density at 14KT ranges from 12.9-14.6g/cc"
Thank you so much as usual my friend. I will do this test as I firmly belive this is not a plated item. I believe the KB is a makers mark.
Some say it means it's plated but indications this far and tests, show it's not.

Weigh it dry and then divide that weight by the weight-increase when you submerge it in water, without touching the bottom. In equal unit's; grams / grams e.g.

It will tell you how much grams per milliliter(cc) are there, the you can compare it to a 14K density.
https://victorcanera.com/education/jewelry/platinum-vs-gold#:~:text=Gold's density at 14KT ranges,more dense than 14KT gold.

"Gold's density at 14KT ranges from 12.9-14.6g/cc"
My friend! Always great advice as it panned out. It added up perfectly. After taking a closer look, and it took me a while, the mark read 14Kt. The T being lowercase. But there's a scratch that made it look like a B.
The gravity test, drilled it through and also acid tests, all provided a 14k result.
Thank you again. For always lending me an education and hand with my learning process.
Cheers!

KB, the Korean process for bonding thin layers of gold to a silver base. Scratch test is not definative. I would drill it and test for silver. keum boo!
Thank you so much my friend. It took me a while to see but, there was a deep scratch that made it appear as 14KB. After careful review, it is stamped 14Kt.
I am grateful for the knowledge you shared and sure will remember it when purchasing items.
CHEERS!!

Glad it came out in your favor, worth alot more than KB. KB is a diffusion bonding method of gilding that makes scratch testing difficult due to the mixing of gold and silver at the interface. No distinct layering than that does not peel, better than electroplating. But not as good as gold.

My friend! Always great advice as it panned out. It added up perfectly. After taking a closer look, and it took me a while, the mark read 14Kt. The T being lowercase. But there's a scratch that made it look like a B.
The gravity test, drilled it through and also acid tests, all provided a 14k result.
Thank you again. For always lending me an education and hand with my learning process.
Cheers!
Thats what were here for.
Glad to be of help

Latest posts

Back