im in over my head...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronix

hey everyone, im here to challenge your patience one more time haha.

i seen in one of the sub-forums a person asking if there were any small scale hobbyist refiners on vancouver island. i messaged him and eventually spoke on the phone with him, and i explained that i only have a little experience, but i will see if i can help him out.

he said he had some material dropped from a metal chloride solution with lye, and it was given to him as a gift. he had tried a few things but didnt get anywhere, so we both agreed that he would send me a 5 gram sample of both powders he had. one was the original, the other was what was left over after he had tinkered with it.

so, i took a small sample of the original and boiled it in hcl, which produced a bright yellow solution. i took another small sample and digested in poor mans AR, which turned a dark emerald green. i stannous tested both liquids and the hcl wash tested negative the yellow stayed around a Minuit before disappearing. the AR tested weird. it went clear and then a very faint brown powder looked like it started to form but didnt change the whole drop color, it was like the particles were suspended individually with clear water around it.

i filtered, and took a small sample in a test tube of the yellow liquid, and added SMB, no change, same as the AR, no change. i made sure there was no nitric left in the AR by evaporation and adding more HCL. no brown fumes came off the syrup.

at this point i figured ill add them both together, im not getting anything anyway. i still have most of the sample as well so i can try any suggestions.

i neutralized the mix with baking soda, and got a weird creamsicle orange color precipitate.

im on a time crunch as its christmas but i can upload pictures of the powders and any processes you guys want me to do, if you have any ideas.

well, thanks again, and merry christmas!!

- Ian

Salutations...

"he said he had some material dropped from a metal chloride solution with lye, and it was given to him as a gift. he had tried a few things but didnt get anywhere, so we both agreed that he would send me a 5 gram sample of both powders he had. one was the original, the other was what was left over after he had tinkered with it."

You failed to mention what material was digested and was is expected, hoped, to be gotten out.

Sounds like you may have done the test prep ok except incineration. HCL in 1 and AR in another. With no results showing. Even though not incinerating to be sure no acid or organics, you should have something of a result. Stanus bad maybe? Check it to be sure.

BS.
Sometimes the simplest answers are the right ones...

Search found 22 matches: +AR +brown +dark +emerald +green --advanced search may help,

look for steps that you have done, that narrowed from 3544 to 22,

anyway Happy Holidays

I tested the stannous with a known sample, all good there.

Sorry he said it was supposed to have platinum and or gold. I figured Tue AR boil would have dissolved some of it and tested with stannous..

This sounds like iron from your description above (was this pyrite ore? fools gold?)

When you heated the hydroxide in HCl you first made salt NaCl with more acid you can put metals into solution (but not gold), Iron will make a yellow solution that will look like gold, it will also make a green solution.
With hydroxide iron can turn to a rust color or red powders (sounds similar to the orange color you discribed)

Gold would not dissolve in the HCl alone. So HCl can be used to remove several metals including iron that has not formed hydroxides (which would remain as a red powder), this solution can be tested for Iron see Hoke's page 100, or tested for gold (but without oxidizer gold would not dissolve).

The remaining powders left after the hot HCl washes could be tested for gold, by using HCl/bleach or aqua regia, after removing the oxidizers, tested for gold.

Even pyrite can have traces of gold so I would not get my hopes up too high, if I seen a little purple in the test.

Latest posts

Back