Im sure i over paid! But tell me what you guys think about this ebay purchase!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dervishh

I've been refining on a very small scale, just electronics I come across and the very small amounts of gold that I find, so this was quite an expensive purchase for me. Can you guys tell me what you think about these old school fingers that I paid almost $300 with tax and shipping included.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3946114173...N0-wCITRI6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Use it for learning, then you paid not so much. See the 0.5g or so of gold you get as a bonus

Use it for learning, then you paid not so much. See the 0.5g or so of gold you get as a bonus
I'm hoping to get a bit more than .5g as they appear to have thicker plating than avg.
I was also thinking about trimming them to the point of only gold showing before they go into the AP solution

I've been refining on a very small scale, just electronics I come across and the very small amounts of gold that I find, so this was quite an expensive purchase for me. Can you guys tell me what you think about these old school fingers that I paid almost $300 with tax and shipping included.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3946114173...N0-wCITRI6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
#Lino1406 is right, use it as a learning lesson.

I personally don`t buy from ebay or other online auction sites, since i have my own suppliers (junkyard workers who gather the stuff for an extra income)

My experience is, and the direction i buy the stuff is .... I always calculate the gold value of the item minus the price of the chemicals, minus a minimum of 15-20% profit...and that is the approximately real price of an item that i am willing to pay for.
Exceptions are ineresting unique items or really rare items that have collector value, for those in many cases do not apply the above calculations.
As much as i want to buy something, if it is overpriced and I cannot negotiate the price, i don`t buy it, since i don`t want to lose money.

So did you buy 2.5 pounds or 32 ounces?They look good, not as close cut as I like to see them. Question. Why would you want to trim them before refining them. The advantage to close cut fingers is when you buy them, less scrap weight. so why trim now? Good luck and be sure to post up some results.

LMAO! I figured one of you guys (if not all 3) other bidders would be in here. It's actually the first time I've ever spent any money on refining. I'd been looking on ebay for a bit and when I saw those fingers, with all that thick gold. my heart started pounding and placed a snipe order on them.
I've actually been kinda harassing the seller because he wouldn't ship, but I literally just got a message from him saying, there were some problems, but he just left the post office and added a bunch more fingers and some other random things I could get gold off of and it should be here Friday. I'm so excited to finally be able process something that has enough gold on it that I can actually see!!! I can't wait

So did you buy 2.5 pounds or 32 ounces?They look good, not as close cut as I like to see them. Question. Why would you want to trim them before refining them. The advantage to close cut fingers is when you buy them, less scrap weight. so why trim now? Good luck and be sure to post up some

So did you buy 2.5 pounds or 32 ounces?They look good, not as close cut as I like to see them. Question. Why would you want to trim them before refining them. The advantage to close cut fingers is when you buy them, less scrap weight. so why trim now? Good luck and be sure to post up some results.

I will definitely post the results of my first major refine to the fourm that's brought so much knowledge and solutions to the hobby that I enjoy so much

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow around 1pm, so I'll probably be starting with an AP solution (I'm open for suggestions) as soon as it arrives. I already have some stannus chloride in the works, (I know I won't need it yet) but I have about a half gallon of hydrochloric acid, peroxide 3% and about a half liter of nitric acid. I'll post everything from the opening of the box (supposed to have extra fingers and other gold materials to work with since it took so long to ship) also the seller asked me to keep him updated on my progress, so of course I linked him this fourm. He said he's always wanted to do it, but was scared he'd lose it. So I told him "it's almost impossible to to lose it once it's in solution" anyway I know I'm probably way too excited about this

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow around 1pm, so I'll probably be starting with an AP solution (I'm open for suggestions) as soon as it arrives. I already have some stannus chloride in the works, (I know I won't need it yet) but I have about a half gallon of hydrochloric acid, peroxide 3% and about a half liter of nitric acid. I'll post everything from the opening of the box (supposed to have extra fingers and other gold materials to work with since it took so long to ship) also the seller asked me to keep him updated on my progress, so of course I linked him this fourm. He said he's always wanted to do it, but was scared he'd lose it. So I told him "it's almost impossible to to lose it once it's in solution" anyway I know I'm probably way too excited about this
You really do not need the Peroxide for AP.
Use an aquarium air bubbler.

I've been trying to find one at goodwill. I guess I'll try Walmart. No peroxide, though? OK. I'll give it a try
Start it up with HCl and oxidized copper. Or green a copper carbonate layer. Not clean copper. It will create the copper chloride to get things started. All you need to add is air.

Ebay's not good for E-scrap anymore, unless you get REALLY lucky. I got in just before it got crazy, and did get some good deals.

I was getting high-quality RAM cards for $17/lb. with the fingers intact and free shipping! They were old types with thick plating.

Any good education is worth paying for. E-Bay is not the best place to find e-scrap, but is a great place to find materials to learn with. And refined gold will always hold it's value. Remember about 7 years ago when everyone was laughing at 70 dollars a pound fingers? Just think what they are worth now, without even refining them. A guy sure could turn a good profit now if he had bought a bunch back then.

I have a couple of the cheap ones from Walmart...I think they were under $9 US.
I got my punp!!! Still so excited, even though it was supposed to arrive today but the mailman has come and gone, I know hopefully it'll be here tomorrow
Any good education is worth paying for. E-Bay is not the best place to find e-scrap, but is a great place to find materials to learn with. And refined gold will always hold it's value. Remember about 7 years ago when everyone was laughing at 70 dollars a pound fingers? Just think what they are worth now, without even refining them. A guy sure could turn a good profit now if he had bought a bunch back then.

Woh!! OK so I just got the package and it's way more than 2.5lbs plus lots of other stuff!!! Here is a video

Attachments

• 20230519_182246.mp4
    6 MB
Back