incineration of plated pins WITH their plastic casing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank-20011

hello everyone-again,

i've made some littles test in the past with different material but everytime it was a gold plated metal part firmly connected with its plastic casing...or high quantities so a hand out pulling is an absolute no go.

there was different metals and different plastics but every time after the incineration i'am not able to see the gold plating on the freed metal parts...only the base metal.

i didn't through the objects in a hellfire, i incinerate them very carefully and as "cold" as possible with an reducing flame....an as slow as possible....no glowing of the metal parts.....

i am not shure if the aggressive fumes of the burning plastic made something with the gold (i know...not realistic) ot if the gold diffused into the metal and so it isn't longer vissible?

is there anybody who share my observations or, much better, somebody who is able to explain what there happens?

best regards, frank!

Hello,

o.k. i should better burn the plastic trash with the plated stuff inside a...lets say a soup can with closed lid (placed in a camp fire for ex. an a little hole in its lid) instead with an open flame at the open air?

but why the gold isn't longer visible after open burning of the whole unit (plastic-plated sheet)?

thanks and have a nice day!

best regards!

Plastics produce all kinds of dangerous gases, not only deadly to us and our environment. Some of these gases can react with metals under the high temperatures, gases like chlorides, for example, can dissolve gold (oxidation) and carry it in the fumes, in a closed container if this happens the gold may just cement back out onto copper (reduction).

hello an thanks a lot,

dangerous gases like Cl (from PVC) are evident but gases from plastics like PP...but o.k.: i will try a real incineration without air access and than i will report about the resukts!

nice day, frank!

At high temperatures, metals can oxidize, some metals are much more reactive, some will react with moisture produced by combustion products and oxygen of the fuel or air. Metals can also be reduced (carbonous products), or melted, some metals are volatile...

Hello,

yes, yes but at 500°C gold isn't volatile, it couldn't be oxidised and it couldn't be reduced by carbon even when i burn the whole stuff in an open fire but: i will follow you and will try it in a closed container...
...than i will report my results!

best regards, frank!

I asked thaïs question Before on thé forum. I Was told that the gold layer can migrate to the plated layer underneath or even to the base metal itself. Moisture and off gasses like cl could strip metals and put them into a vapor? My experience is that the copper base metal oxidizes and scales off. Taking the pm coating with it. I think that is one reason some of my pulps run high in gold while others don't. Mabey try melting them under a layer of flux? And incinerate the same amount in air and see if there is any degree of loss?

hello,

thanks, thanks, thank you very much, i will try it without air contact as soon as possible and then i will report.

nice weekend!

Gold(III) chloride can be prepared by passing chlorine gas over gold powder at 180 °C

2 Au + 3 Cl2 → 2 AuCl3

Gold metal powders can be melted at over 1000 °C in air and poured and cooled without chemical change.

FrugalRefiner said:
frank-20011 said:
Hello,

yes, yes but at 500°C gold isn't volatile, it couldn't be oxidised ...
I can oxidize gold at room temperature with HCl and Clorox.

Dave

I'm sure you can but you're talking about a solution whereas the OP is talking about incineration or did I miss something here Dave?

Apples and pears.

The gold is probably still there, either diffused into the base metal or the gold has been broken up by an oxide layer formed by oxidizing the base metal.

Usually pins have a minimal plating just to protect the surface against oxidation. Other plated details like ceramic CPU lids have a lot thicker plating to protect from diffusing the plating at the higher temperatures used when brazing the lid.
I wouldn't be surprised if the plating hides by diffusing into the base metal when incinerated for quite a long time at high temperature.

Göran

Hmmm, very interesting thread with no answer.

That's true, When pyrolizing plated gold pins or boards we can't see any gold, I didn't try to smelt the pyrolized pins or boards yet to see if there is gold or not, but I soaked the pyrolized pins in Aqua regia and got negative gold test by stannous chloride, then I incinerate a test batch and process it with AR but also I got negative stannous test.

Plastic connectors with gold plated pins and gold plated boards make me think too much, till now I just use acid and cyanide baths to process them since I have a bad experience with pyrolizing them as mentioned before, I tried to crush the plastic connectors without pyrolizing and pan them but unfortunately I got a mass of crushed plastic and pins that its very hard to be separated by panning, I thought plastic will just float on water and can easily separate it,but that's not happened!

Anyone have suggestions of how we can process plastic connectors and plated boards without using acid or cyanide baths?

Hmmm, very interesting thread with no answer.

That's true, When pyrolizing plated gold pins or boards we can't see any gold, I didn't try to smelt the pyrolized pins or boards yet to see if there is gold or not, but I soaked the pyrolized pins in Aqua regia and got negative gold test by stannous chloride, then I incinerate a test batch and process it with AR but also I got negative stannous test.

Plastic connectors with gold plated pins and gold plated boards make me think too much, till now I just use acid and cyanide baths to process them since I have a bad experience with pyrolizing them as mentioned before, I tried to crush the plastic connectors without pyrolizing and pan them but unfortunately I got a mass of crushed plastic and pins that its very hard to be separated by panning, I thought plastic will just float on water and can easily separate it,but that's not happened!

Anyone have suggestions of how we can process plastic connectors and plated boards without using acid or cyanide baths?
What is the color of the ash?

What was left after AR?
I can't remember, but if you thinking gold absorbed by activated carbon in my case its not, cause I make a test with incineration to make sure no gold absorbed by activated carbon.

I want to make sure of how gold plating material react with pyrolizing or incineration process, does plated gold oxidize in this case? If its oxidize that mean we have to smelt the ash without make wet panning at all cause we will pan out the oxidized gold, or plated gold evaporate?? I'm sure gold will not contaminate with base metal cause if its contaminated I should get positive stannous test with acids process

guys, it’s just that there’s just no gilding underneath the plastic.
the economy should be economical :)
options with full gilding remained in the 80s of the last century.
or it was made in the USSR or military or medicine

guys, it’s just that there’s just no gilding underneath the plastic.
the economy should be economical :)
options with full gilding remained in the 80s of the last century.
or it was made in the USSR or military or medicine
We are talking about whole plated pins not only underneath the plastic

Back