incineration question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewalston

I have a question about what to incinerate in....would a cast iron frying pan work for incineration? If not what is the suggested surface?

Rusty

rewalston said:
I have a question about what to incinerate in....would a cast iron frying pan work for incineration? If not what is the suggested surface?

Rusty

Stainless Steel

I use corning ware type frying pan or pots, the white, amber, or violet style, made for stove tops, I raise heat on it slowly, then it handles the heat from my torch.I like them because I can dry metal salts and they will not disolve or add any metal to my metals, and they will not dissolve from the acid hot acids or gases generated, I tried stainless, I like the corning type skillets better.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I have a nice hefty cast iron skillet that I do not use for anything...too damn big for my stove. So I think I'll use it for the time being, in the mean time I'll keep my eyes open for corning ware.

Rusty

rewalston said:
Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I have a nice hefty cast iron skillet that I do not use for anything...too damn big for my stove. So I think I'll use it for the time being, in the mean time I'll keep my eyes open for corning ware.
Not advised. For one, it has too much mass, and is difficult to heat to the desired temperature. You would be much better served with something that is light weight. Make sure it's not aluminum, which will melt at the temperature that is desirable for complete incineration.

Cast iron is also heat sensitive. If it is heated unevenly, with excessive heat (like a torch), it is subject to cracking.

I used stainless as long as I refined. Butcher's idea is good if you are patient, and I'd give it a thumbs up, assuming you have plenty of time. His adds nothing to the product, unlike stainless. However, I didn't have any problems with what little was added.

If you'd like to experiment with either of these ideas, a thrift store is the place to shop.

Harold

Latest posts

Back