Inquartation calculator

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx

Hello guys,
Here is a very user friendly spreadsheet to calculate the amount of silver needed if you are inquartating different karats.
I'm open to any comments.

Also, I'm looking for a software to convert my spreadsheets to html pages, I lost the last one I had...

Thanks

Here is a spreadsheet I wrote to inquart karat lots from assayed karat bars in inventory with assayed silver bars (we use mostly sterling)

Enter the weights and assays of the gold you want to inquart, it sums the assays and calculates an inquart quantity. Then you add in the silver bar weights and assays until it tells you to stop. Our limiting factor is the 5000 ounce capacity of the melter but if you put your melt capacity in that space it will work for smaller capacities as well. It does refined metal accountability as well and acid cost, just put in your acid cost.

Attachments

• Karat Inquartation.xls
    20.5 KB · Views: 226
Hi Noxx
I would like to have this spreadsheet to calculater
If it is possible please post it on the forum
Thanks

Silver inquartation.xls

Hi 4metals
I am trying to use your excel spreadsheet and its not working.
Its not very user friendly
Thanks

I've got 6 pretty large clients using it daily, no complaints, but we aim to please. What problems are you having or what don't you understand? Maybe I can tweak it just for your application.

Hi 4metals
This spreadsheet does nor seem user friendly.
Since the purpose is the find out how much silver to add to you assayed gold then i should not be more than that.
For example if you have 500 grams of 11karat gold how much silver do you add to inquart
Thanks

The spreadsheet is made for refining multiple assayed bars and combining them into single refining lots. Much larger lots than you mentioned. The sheet I posted is also unlocked so often users not familiar with Excel accidentally change formulas in cells and delete them for good.

I have attached an Excel spreadsheet simply to do as you asked, the only cells you can add to are the grams of gold and the karat of the gold. It calculates the theoretical gold content of the karat you list and gives you the number of grams of fine silver (at least 99%) to have 3 times as much silver as gold.

If you need details on working the original sheet let me know and I'll go into detail for you.

As I was doing this small Excel sheet I realized it would be easy to put together a sheet by inputting the weight of each piece you buy and its tested karat and at the end of the day or when you're ready to process it can total the gold, give you the karat, and even say how much silver to inquart.

let me know if you want me to write a sheet to do this.

Hi 4metals

As I was doing this small Excel sheet I realized it would be easy to put together a sheet by inputting the weight of each piece you buy and its tested karat and at the end of the day or when you're ready to process it can total the gold, give you the karat, and even say how much silver to inquart.

let me know if you want me to write a sheet to do this.

This would be fun to have

Also
If you need details on working the original sheet let me know and I'll go into detail for you.

This would also be good to know.
I think what this needs is a step by step tutorial
I don't mean that you should spend hours trying to prepare it
Just to make it more clear to people who are not good in math

This sheet will total each piece you buy, calculate the theoretical gold content per piece, and keep a running total of karat weight and fine gold content as well as silver required to inquart. The sheet is locked so it will only accept data in the cells colored yellow. That prevents you from deleting formulas. If you need to change formulas or add to it the sheet is not password protected so just click unprotect and edit it.

I only added 50 lines for input, I hope that gets you past lunch-break!!!

It's an Excel 2003 spreadsheet.

Hi Folks
I have noticed a difference in the result of 2 calculations where there should not be any.

----------------
http://www.midstatesrecycling.com/karat_kalc
40 grams of 14K
Estimated Pure Gold Content: 0.724 t/ozs OR 22.51892 Grams
Estimated Purity: 56.3 %
13.51 K------------------------I DONT KNOW WHAT THIS STANDS FOR
-----------------
4metals small lot inquarting
40 grams of 14K
Estimated Pure Gold Content: 23.33333 Grams
Estimated Purity: 58.3333 %

Can someone tell me who is right and who is wrong or am is it me thats doing something wrong

golddie said:
Hi Folks
I have noticed a difference in the result of 2 calculations where there should not be any.

----------------
http://www.midstatesrecycling.com/karat_kalc
40 grams of 14K
Estimated Pure Gold Content: 0.724 t/ozs OR 22.51892 Grams
Estimated Purity: 56.3 %
13.51 K------------------------I DONT KNOW WHAT THIS STANDS FOR
-----------------
4metals small lot inquarting
40 grams of 14K
Estimated Pure Gold Content: 23.33333 Grams
Estimated Purity: 58.3333 %

Can someone tell me who is right and who is wrong or am is it me thats doing something wrong

MidStates buying calculator downgrades the incoming purity of 14k material by 2% more than 4metals inquartation calculator. They presume any scrap marked 14k (14/24ths) is actually 13.51k (13.51/24ths).

4metals calculator uses 14k as 13.99/24ths.

the karat buys running total spreadhseet is no longer in existence. Can someone please email it to me?
As well does anyone have a spreadhseet to inquart UP? As in adding enough pure AU to karat scrap to go directly to AR? I wanna try this method with some placer of unknown assay, I will add more than enough pure to have silver below 8%.

I will do a small batch of 54.93 grams of placer and report back (I will do the math long hand) but wonder if theres a spreadsheet that exists?

THANKS EVERYONE!

mlgdave

mlgdave said:
the karat buys running total spreadhseet is no longer in existence. Can someone please email it to me?
As well does anyone have a spreadhseet to inquart UP? As in adding enough pure AU to karat scrap to go directly to AR? I wanna try this method with some placer of unknown assay, I will add more than enough pure to have silver below 8%.

I will do a small batch of 54.93 grams of placer and report back (I will do the math long hand) but wonder if theres a spreadsheet that exists?

THANKS EVERYONE!

mlgdave

Aaaah! I've brought this subject up before. If one has enough high karat gold on hand, they can actully use it to inquart their scrap instead of silver and then go strait to AR. Way to think outside the box. 8)

You don't need a spread sheet though. Just calculate how much base metal and pure gold is in your scrap.

Ex. 54.93 grams of 14k scrap has 32.02 grams of Au and 22.91of base metal. Since you want the base metal content to be under 8% divide the base metal by .07 = 327.29 Now subtract the original gold content from this number = 295.27. So you would need to inquart 295.27 grams of pure gold with your scrap in order to go straigt to AR. See why not many people do it this way ? :lol:

Latest posts

Back