Inquarting

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wywiwyg2000

I am working on bringing my gold down to the 6% level. I have not been to the jewler to purchase any fine silver. But, for practicing I will use copper and brass. I know I will have a better return by usinig silver. I have a solid brass bar and sheeting. Is this type of brass the same as brass fittings? Also, I have copper sheeting, fittings, and solid wire. Which of the copper will be better for my inquarting?

Thanks for your help,
Gene

wywiwyg2000 said:
I am working on bringing my gold down to the 6% level. I have not been to the jewler to purchase any fine silver. But, for practicing I will use copper and brass. I know I will have a better return by usinig silver. I have a solid brass bar and sheeting. Is this type of brass the same as brass fittings? Also, I have copper sheeting, fittings, and solid wire. Which of the copper will be better for my inquarting?

Thanks for your help,
Gene

You want to reduce the gold to a 6 karat level, not 6%. 6 karat is 25%. Of the stuff you listed, I would use copper and not brass. Some brass has tin in it and you don't want tin in the mix. Use only clean copper that has no solder on it. Be aware that, dissolving copper will take 3.4 times more nitric than when dissolving the same weight of silver

You are correct I did mean 6k not 6%. My error. Ok the clean copper I will use. Yes, I realize I will use more nitric Acid. I am just practicing from my reading of Hoke's book. Other tests I did not have plattinum or pure silver to use. Do you buy your silver at a jewler, trade market, pawn store, or??

Thanks again,
Gene

Well, silver would be .999; while sterling would be .925 silver, the rest would be base metals, usually copper & nickle, (sometimes some Pd).

The good news is that much karat scrap contains silver so your silver stock should increase in time, the other good news about using silver to inquart with is that it acts as a carrier for any PGMs you might encounter, another bonus.

Thanks again, I will make a trip to Penny's or some other store and buy some silver. I do not have any around the house, only some silver coins before 1960. I am looking forward to getting my inquarting down to a science using the methods I have been taught and read from ya'll. As I work on the smaller scales I am seeing how the acids and with heat make a big difference in processing the separations. I thought I would try the copper addition, but chose against it. It seems to be a wasted process without any return. So I hope to see the silver difference tomorrow.

wywiwyg2000 said:
Thanks again, I will make a trip to Penny's or some other store and buy some silver. I do not have any around the house, only some silver coins before 1960. I am looking forward to getting my inquarting down to a science using the methods I have been taught and read from ya'll. As I work on the smaller scales I am seeing how the acids and with heat make a big difference in processing the separations. I thought I would try the copper addition, but chose against it. It seems to be a wasted process without any return. So I hope to see the silver difference tomorrow.
If you need silver for inquartation, I'd suggest you avoid any retail outlets. They don't sell silver, although they may sell silver flatware or jewelry. You'll pay one hell of a premium for silver that way.

Check second hand stores, maybe even coin stores or pawn shops, looking for well worn jewelry, or even coins, something that might be considered scrap. It won't be free, but you're far more likely to pay a reasonable price that way. Take scales and a calculator, and remember that sterling is 92.5% silver, and US coins are 90% silver, with just a few exceptions.

Harold

Thanks again. I tried a one Pawn place and they wont sell broken pieces. They melt it at corporate. The other place has very good prices. Buying more gave me a better deal. I never thought of using a calculator and scales to purchase, but that proved as an asset. Thanks Harold and the rest.

Gene

Latest posts

Back