interfering species in the determination of Ni using DMG

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsangchuiyi

Hi guys,

What metal ions are the interfering species in the determination of nickel using the dimethylglyoxime method. Suggest a solution to this problem.

I know the interfering species inculde Fe2+, Co2+, Cu2+. Are there anymore?
Actually I don't know the reason why Fe2+, Co2+, Cu2+ are interfering species. Can somebody explain to me?
Please suggest a solution to this problem.

Thanks.
TCY

To get copper and cobalt out is easy. Copper in this environment
is either black or blue, what interferes.

tsangchuiyi said:
So how can I get out Cu? My sample is Ni-Cu alloy.
You shouldn't need to worry about the copper. When I mixed my first batch of DMG, I tested it on some filings from a U.S. five cent coin known as a nickel. The alloy used to make these coins is 75% copper and 25% nickel. The DMG worked just fine, turning the classic pink color. Actually, if you look very close, you'll see tiny specks of red, which, from a little farther away present a pink color. I wouldn't think the copper would be an issue if you're just trying to detect the presence of nickel.

Dave

tsangchuiyi said:
Hi guys,

What metal ions are the interfering species in the determination of nickel using the dimethylglyoxime method. Suggest a solution to this problem.

I know the interfering species inculde Fe2+, Co2+, Cu2+. Are there anymore?
Actually I don't know the reason why Fe2+, Co2+, Cu2+ are interfering species. Can somebody explain to me?
Please suggest a solution to this problem.

Thanks.
TCY
Where did you read that Fe2, Co2, Cu2 are interfering ions? What I read was that the only strongly interfering ions are auric, cobaltous, and dichromate. Au+++, Co++, and Cr2O7-- These can interfere because of their intense colors.

FrugalRefiner said:
tsangchuiyi said:
So how can I get out Cu? My sample is Ni-Cu alloy.
You shouldn't need to worry about the copper. When I mixed my first batch of DMG, I tested it on some filings from a U.S. five cent coin known as a nickel. The alloy used to make these coins is 75% copper and 25% nickel. The DMG worked just fine, turning the classic pink color. Actually, if you look very close, you'll see tiny specks of red, which, from a little farther away present a pink color. I wouldn't think the copper would be an issue if you're just trying to detect the presence of nickel.

Dave

My sample is Ni-Cu alloy and the interfering species should be Cu2+. So how can I remove Cu2+ to ensure that dimethylglyoxime ligand will react with Ni2+ only?

TCY

Have you tried dissolving a little and testing it as is? The only reason Cu++ might be a problem is because it is an intense blue when made ammoniacal. Dilution might help.

Cu will dissolve in concentrated nitric acid while nickel and iron are passivated. Co dissolves in
any acid, although it may take time

Lino1406 said:
Cu will dissolve in nitric acid while nickel and iron are passivated. Co dissolves in
With a Cu/Ni alloy, once the copper is nearly gone, the nickel will start dissolving in hot 50/50, or a bit weaker, nitric. Nickel will also slowly dissolve in hot 37% HCl.

goldsilverpro said:
Lino1406 said:
Cu will dissolve in nitric acid while nickel and iron are passivated. Co dissolves in
With a Cu/Ni alloy, once the copper is nearly gone, the nickel will start dissolving in hot 50/50, or a bit weaker, nitric. Nickel will also slowly dissolve in hot 37% HCl.
If it's very finely divided, it will dissolve even without heat. I filed the edge of a nickel for my DMG test. I added the filings, a few drops of distilled water and a few drops of nitric to a white plastic spoon. I checked on it a couple hours later and everything was dissolved. I added several drops of ammonia and a couple of DMG and got a very pretty pink.

Dave

Latest posts

Back