Iodine but with a twist. You wont believe it!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of the original post I used 500-700mls. By used I mean I dissolved gold and added SMB to precipitate.
My pH meter took a crap on me so I have held off on processing until today- I got my new one. I want to be safe. No sign of my fn camera. Ill keep you posted. The nickel substrate looks brand new...But yes I know, proceed very cautiously.

Honestly Shaul.

I am not trying to push your buttons but this patent is incomplete. It presumes that those reading it are experienced chemists well aware of where the process can go astray.

As it turns out DNIndustry knew of the pitfalls and avoided them. As someone who lacks the required experience, I and others need this input from those that do know to keep us safe. Incomplete processes are a danger to the rest of us.

DNIndustry.

Please continue. My apologies for cluttering your thread.

qst;

I'm not trying to push your buttons either.

I guess what it boils down to is putting out as much quality information as possible, posting warning signs (like you would around a fenced-in minefield); and then..'Caveat Emptor' : 'Let the Buyer Beware'.

Regardless, enough time and space has been wasted on this arguement.

I'm putting mine to rest.

Shaul

I have been wanting to post all friken day.
I ran out and bought a cheap ass camera just to get some pics up.
Well cheep ass pics are what I got.

I took what should have been some sweet ass pics. Not stabilization, ill work on getting a new cam but ill put up what i can.

This process showed me that i was about to throw away gold.
Since the ammonia/iodine doesnt touch nickel I can set it and forget it.
PH runs around 7.6
I always thought the color of the contacts changed to this brown color once it hit the copper insides... Turns out its still gold. till i see shiny it stays in the bath. ive got close to 3,000g of heavy gold plate Thicknet contacts to process again. :)

Doing the math
1 gallon = 3.785411784 liters
1 gallon of bath will hold 4 ozt of Au|Ag|Pd|Pt|Rh
4 ozt x 31.103 g = 124.412g (before needing oxidizing)
3785.411478 mL / 124.412g = 30.42mLs/gram
or
47.335 mLs/ pwt
1 ozt = 946.70 mLs

This is based off the estimates in the patent. To be honest I am seeing slightly higher precipitation. Extremely fine metallic gold precipitation. not mud, but very obvious sedimentation that is a bitch to get out of plastic, clings to glass too.
I havent dried or weighed yet so I could be wrong...
I wish i had that fricken mass spec....Id love to run a sample.
Maybe that would be a sweet service I could offer if the douche bag ever comes through.
Testing for the board, any thoughts.?

well. So far no problems. I have been running sample sets of 35mls in 50ml centrafuge tubes. Works well. I got antzy and ran one of them all the way through...
I made my first button. Came out to just over a 1.5g which would support my math as prior posted.

Lasersteve-Thanks for the videos, on the site! I got good info on the melting...I tried i 3x before with deep crucibles..bad luck. I only have a MAPP Pro/O2 torch here right now. I changed to propane. Actually worked better, followed the prep, but kept blowing the powder out. This time I tried a combo of your technique and Hoke, put it in as wet glazed the top put a little borax soap ( not actual sodium borate like before-works like shit) on top and put a lid on the crucible. I evenly cooked it until the i heard/smelled the soap melt ( good smell) removed the lid and circled the till i had a button.

I did notice using the h2o2 at 35% during agitation actually causes some of the Iodine to precipitate. As part of my final washing I avoided the Nh4OH and went for H20+H202. This disolved any traces of Iodine precipitate.....
If any one is actually following this.
By the way the DEA regulations regardidng elemental iodine crystals is no more than 400g in one purchase. Hydroiodic Acid is controlled in all quantity.

To one and all: As a kid laborer in the mines way-way back, there was this gent from back east who used the above chemical makeup. Talk about powerful - wow - juice ( nitro ) didn't even come close. We sure did move a lot of rock.

Ah, history and no EPA and gov't agencies. EVO

Latest posts

Back