• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Iron filings

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badastro

Does anyone have iron filings that they are willing to part with?

They must be pure enough such that they don't leave residue when dissolved in acid. I tried making some with a file, but it's not easy. I need them for an experiment involving recovery of platinum from hard drive platters.

Go to a place that "turns brakes" (auto shop) they will give you iron fillings for free. Not sure how pure they are though.

Chips from brake lathes will be high in silicon and carbon.

Laminations from motors and transformers are made of carbon free iron. Otherwise, most of the material you find will contain at least some carbon, along with several other elements if the material in question is an alloy. Structural shapes, angle iron, channel iron, etc., are all low carbon steel, but not free of carbon. All would leave residues.

Harold

Harold_V said:
Chips from brake lathes will be high in silicon and carbon.

Laminations from motors and transformers are made of carbon free iron. Otherwise, most of the material you find will contain at least some carbon, along with several other elements if the material in question is an alloy. Structural shapes, angle iron, channel iron, etc., are all low carbon steel, but not free of carbon. All would leave residues.

Harold

Good stuff, those transformmer cores. Just get the insulating varnish off first.

You can also use a grinder to test the Iron by the type of sparks it gives off when you grind it.

I use a band-saw to cut off lengths of W1 tool steel (plain carbon steel) for die blanks. I have a big magnet under the saw to catch the filings and I bag them up every now and then... had no plans but they're fun to play with a magnet. W1 is a very low-alloy steel... but about 1% carbon... not sure if carbon is a problem for you.

Years ago i swiched to fairier shoeing nails. very pure high iron content. a buddy vet got them for me. mike.fortin

Back