Iron in my well water...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtle

...will it present any problems if using iron rich well water in any of the processes covered in this forum?

I'm inclined to believe it will. My kids pools turns green and orange once chlorine oxidizes the iron and manganese after filling or topping off the pool with water from our well (that is if I don't properly pre-treat it)

turtle said:
...will it present any problems if using iron rich well water in any of the processes covered in this forum?

I'm inclined to believe it will. My kids pools turns green and orange once chlorine oxidizes the iron and manganese after filling or topping off the pool with water from our well (that is if I don't properly pre-treat it)
I have always promoted the use of tap water, but in your case I would certainly not do so. Generally, the trace elements you'll encounter aren't harmful to gold's quality (I'm not referring to metals in solution)---but if you use water that obviously contains enough to alter color, I would expect that the residual contaminants will show in the final product. Lime would be eliminated in melting, but the metals you mentioned are most likely to show in the end product, although they may be oxides. In any case, they would lower the quality of the gold.

Harold

Latest posts

Back