Is dissolving silver in hot HCL possible with zinc?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grelko

In Hokes book it says that hot HCL attacks the outer layer of silver turning it into silver chloride and later it says that zinc cements out silver chloride.

Since I can't find any nitric around my area...

I have silver contacts that I will be removing the base metals from, so that it's just silver "not pure, and I know some may be cadmium".

Now, if I added the clean silver contacts to hot HCL, then add zinc powder/foil etc., and stirring it constantly, would the zinc cement out the silver chloride as it was being made by the HCL? Or does zinc dissolve too rapidly for this process to work?

I'm seeing if there is a way to raise the purity without having to use nitric/sulfuric or, "just melting" the contacts incase there's any cadmium present.

I figure this could work to some extent but as the silver is being cemented out, if there is any cadmium or other BMs present, they might be dragged down along with the silver.

Then again, if it works but, drags down other BMs with it, it would be in powder form, so that you might be able to use AP to remove what's left of the BMs to purify the silver.

I think I am missing something here. Is it possible to "accidently" dissolve silver in AP like you can with gold? That might make things easier since I can't seem to find nitric, unless I ordered it online.

It is possible to dissolve the silver contacts, in a hot solution of ferric chloride.
Not as easy as using nitric acid but it will work.

Ag + FeCl3 --> AgCl + FeCl2
Here the silver metal (Ag) is converted to silver chloride (AgCl) using ferric chloride FeCl3, ferrous chloride (FeCl2) is the solution which remains with the insoluble silver chloride.

You may find this helpful.
Reusing old copper/ iron chloride solutions
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20006&p=204406&hilit=collection+of+some+older+posts#p204406

butcher said:
It is possible to dissolve the silver contacts, in a hot solution of ferric chloride.
Not as easy as using nitric acid but it will work.

Ag + FeCl3 --> AgCl + FeCl2
Here the silver metal (Ag) is converted to silver chloride (AgCl) using ferric chloride FeCl3, ferrous chloride (FeCl2) is the solution which remains with the insoluble silver chloride.

You may find this helpful.
Reusing old copper/ iron chloride solutions
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20006&p=204406&hilit=collection+of+some+older+posts#p204406

I just love when one of the members that have been on a site forever, come to help the new guy, even though he/she knows that the new guy "normally" has no idea what's even going on.

That was an extremely interesting read, thank you very much. Dont worry about me trying this for a good while, seeing that I'm about 100 pages into Hokes.

I just have 3x small glass mason jars with plastic lids for my AP solution, coffee pot and some foils that I need to wash, the safety items "gloves, respirator, etc", slowly memorizing the MSDS on chemicals I'll be using, the proper disposal methods, and reading EVERYTHING that I can on here, Hokes, and other books over and over.

I always seem to come up with the most obscure questions to see if there is a possibility of it working, like this next one.

If you take dissolved metals in a solution "lead chloride etc", add the solution to a tank and perform sonarluminescence on it, could it possibly create gold by nucleosynthesis seeing that the cavitation bubble made creates a shockwave with heat ~20,000-100,000 kelvin or higher, basically acting like a small supernova that could potentially re-arrange the atomic structure of the dissolved metals?

This is why I don't normally talk that often on forums. Thanks again for the help, I'll be reading Hokes.

Grelko said:
If you take dissolved metals in a solution "lead chloride etc", add the solution to a tank and perform sonarluminescence on it, could it possibly create gold by nucleosynthesis seeing that the cavitation bubble made creates a shockwave with heat ~20,000-100,000 kelvin or higher, basically acting like a small supernova that could potentially re-arrange the atomic structure of the dissolved metals?

Although I am not sure, it probably isn't likely, since cold fusion disobeys the laws of thermodynamics. I do think however, that it would be much easier and safer to read Hoke's book than to attempt generating a supernova in your garage.

geedigity said:
Although I am not sure, it probably isn't likely, since cold fusion disobeys the laws of thermodynamics. I do think however, that it would be much easier and safer to read Hoke's book than to attempt generating a supernova in your garage.

Wouldn't this be cold fusion and nuclear fission at the same time since it involves acids and an enormous amount of heat? It would probably turn the metals into some form of plasma, but who knows?

I'll just stick with Hokes and the other books/forum for now, I'm trying to memorize the proper ways of dissolving and precipitating gold with AP, and HCL/CL.

No.

It's not that easy to create new elements. There is a reason that the teams doing nucleosynthesis is building big accelerators to be able to create new elements.

Göran

Latest posts

Back