Is there a puch list for base metals?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimpneightez

Just wondering If there is a list around explaining wich base metal to go after first and how to get it out of solution. Can you drop gold before getting all the other metals out? I'm a little confused about this part of the process and it seems like the most important part.

precipitating PM's from a dirty solution is considered a recovery process. a solution that contains PM's and base metals is considered a dirty solution. there is a certain order that PM's should be precipitated depending on your level of expertise.since gold can be selectively precipitated, it should be first. note that gold precipitated from a dirty solution will be contaminated and will need to be refined as this would be a recover process and not a refining process.next (depending on your level of expertise) is palladium and then silver cemented on copper. if your skill hasnt reached that level, then silver dropped with salt and then palladium.platinum next and rhodium last. this is my understanding and it could be faulty on the last two.

So if I understand you correctly, after disolution in the acid of let's just say pins you would be able to filter what the filter catches would be gold and other minimal contaminates. You would then refine and have your gold in solution along with the other contaminates. You would then precipitate the gold out of solution leaving behind the contaminates and various other PM's. you would then decant leaving behind gold salt. wash a couple times. Then go after the other PM's. Am I correct on this?

if you use AR to dissolve gold bearing material, you must dissolve ALL the metal. if base metal remains after dissolution, any PM's that was in solution could cement out onto the base metal before you can filter it. make sure you dissolve all metal involved and then filter.the PM's is precipitated and base metal stays in solution.

So, If you Use AR All metals would enter a solution state then just precipitate the gold out first. If you Use AP you should filter first then use AR to refine? Seems like you should just Use AR in the first place to skip a filtering step. Ar will dissolve all metals while AP will just dissolve the base metals leaving the gold foil behind so they will get caught in the filter. This Is clearing up alot of my stumbling blocks. I have never processed anything yet but, I'm stockpiling assorted chip's,fingers and pins. I'm almost at the point where Im able to start purchasing chemicals,lab ware and safety equipment. I just need a little more knowledge. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the whole process just some kinks I need to iron out.

AR is considered a refining process, while AP is considered a recovery process. there are times when the easiest process for a certain material is AR (like processors) but it is in your best interest to learn the correct procedures and in the right order. by removing base metals first, you are only helping yourself farther along in the process. precipitating gold from a clean solution is much easier and gives a much better outcome as far as quality. too, the removal of certain problem metals before AR is paramount (like tin). solder of any class will contain a percentage of tin. AP not only separates the gold from the copper, but it also removes some of the troublesome metals (tin,lead,nickel). if quality isnt a priority for you, you may not need to learn any more than the rudimentary processes. on the other hand, if you want to learn to refine PM's, you must learn the right processes and in the right order.

Latest posts

Back