Is this gold dust??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil, if you give the forum some details about what you are processing and how then maybe they can help you identify the material.

goldenchild said:
Its copper.
You are a lot slicker than I am if you can definitively identify that as copper.

While it is unlikely given that this is a first post and the quantity of solids shown in this solution, I have precipitated gold from concentrated auric chloride that looked just like that. The slight green hue left to the solution is the residual copper contamination, still in solution.

Frankly I think that much more information is needed in order to even hazard a guess. It could be dirt in water.

You really aren't giving a lot of details but if I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's your waste solution, after the copper was dropped with iron and filtered off the pH was raised to a bit over 3 and out dropped the iron.

Just a guess, but if it is iron, it's got iron pyrite beat as fools gold!

10 cents Canadian Tire Money next to beaker with a in store coupon given to you from the gas pump cashier

phil---

Scoop 1/8 teaspoon from the brown stuff, put a few drops of HCl on that, and see what happens. If it all dissolves, it's not gold.

I have been waiting to find out what it is too. It's like hearing part of a joke, and then the person leaves before telling the punch line.... :|

Well, phil joined on the 6th, made his one and only post on the 12th, and hasn't been heard from since. I guess it wasn't a burning question for him.

Back