Is this gold plated?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

famagus

Pulled this from a newer microwave, in my head it would be goldplate to help in shielding, but I guess this could just be brass.

Attachments

• 17166411980776568165153568062910.jpg
    17166411980776568165153568062910.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 17166412224313776934434669608551.jpg
    17166412224313776934434669608551.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 17166412387665155694468884712189.jpg
    17166412387665155694468884712189.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Careful with those magnetrons, I hear some of the older ones may contain Beryllium.
This one is only a couple years old it was dropped and the door broke. Unfortunately a replacement door wasn't far off from the cost of a new microwave so I decided to see what all it had.
Thank you for the heads up though! When is Beryllium a hazard? Like if I'm just pulling peices/parts to ship off would it be a problem?

I had just found a post regarding this exact topic! So I guess I should delete this post as it's already been covered!

Careful with those magnetrons, I hear some of the older ones may contain Beryllium.
Picture number two in the orginal post show the pink berylium porcelain, it is in the middle of the gold looking brase ring.
It is the dust there is very dangerous, so dont breake it. If you have enough you can sell it for a good price. Please notise you have to make sure the berylium dosent harm anybody in the future.
In the good old days there was a cobber coil about 10 pound/4 kg (6$ worth where i live) now they mostly made by copper plated alu wire.

Henrik

Picture number two in the orginal post show the pink berylium porcelain, it is in the middle of the gold looking brase ring.
It is the dust there is very dangerous, so dont breake it. If you have enough you can sell it for a good price. Please notise you have to make sure the berylium dosent harm anybody in the future.
In the good old days there was a cobber coil about 10 pound/4 kg (6$ worth where i live) now they mostly made by copper plated alu wire.

Henrik
I'll make sure not to damage it and set it all aside till I have a reliable buyer that will take it off my hands! Thank you for identifying it for me!

It is the dust there is very dangerous, so dont breake it.

The pink ceramic is most definitely beryllium oxide & yes beryllium &/or beryllium oxide is most certainly very toxic resulting in berylliosis IF (the VERY BIG IF) it is inhaled & gets into your lungs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berylliosis

However - in order to end up getting it into your lungs it would have to be ground down to an ULTRA fine powder that can become airborne

Edit to add (because I hit send by accident before finishing my post)

Simply breaking it - even deliberately with a hammer is NOT going to create an ULTRA fine powder that can become airborne - small fragments may break off but breaking BeO (ceramic) will NOT produce ULTRA fine dust particles small enough & light enough to become airborne

For it to become airborne you would literally have to crush/grind it to an ultra fine powder of around 300 minus mesh & breaking ceramic with a hammer is NOT & will NOT produce such ultra fine powder

That is because ceramic is very hard & brittle so when you hit it with a hammer it "fractures" into "fragments" (like breaking glass with a hammer) none of which are small enough & light enough to become airborne

Simply breaking BeO ceramic with a hammer has little or NO risk - before it become a risk of any kind you would literally have to beat it to an ultra fine powder with your hammer at which point yes it could become airborne posing a hazard

Kurt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back