Is this Metastannic/metastanate ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldandsilver123

I processed early today some "Italian" gold alloy and got something I have never encountered before, it produced a blue precipitate that didn't dissolve in AR.

Is this some kind of metastanate? Or maybe some other element?

Attachments

• 20161111_161040[1].jpg
    20161111_161040[1].jpg
    3.5 MB
If the items were castings it's possible it's silicon as that makes casting easier.
Can you give more information such as dis you inquart or go straight to AR, what colour gold and what types of items as this may provide further clues.

Does the precipitate get darker when exposed to sun light? If so, it could be silver chloride. Silver chloride looks purple when it is first exposed to light.

It was yellow gold that the person wanted to reuse but could not machine it.

I made a 4 K alloy with silver since I had silver to purify.

I had to filter 2x because it was soo fine, one filtration ob top of the other, in the first filtrarion the precipitate was a vivid deep blue, in the second it lost its vividness..

The picture appears more purple than it realy is

Silicon make blue compounds?

Since you were refining your silver, could your silver have had tungsten in it? When I processed silver contacts with the waffle pattern on one side, I seem to recall the resulting liquid would turn a deep inky blue color after I added HCL. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back