Jewelers pulverisation to process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archeonist

Hi guys, I got a bag of 5 grams of pulverisation or grind ( or whatever the correct English word is) from a jeweler to process. The powder consist for the biggest part of silver (fine and sterling I think) and 14k gold. And then there is a part that I suspect to be Iron pulverisation and a little tiny bit of a nickel alloy because my magnet reacts to a small portion of the bulk. Another part of the bulk, also very small, consist of sand and plastic pulverisation.

So we have a bag that consists of:
14k gold and up
Fine silver and sterling
Iron
Sand and plastic

All of this pulverised together.

There are different ways to refine this of course, but I am searching the smartest, less time consuming and cheapest way.

Ok, this is how I think of doing this:

First, remove the Iron and nickel alloy using a magnet (like processing flatpacks in partnor's method) and store as low yield gold scrap for later processing.

Second, incinerate the left over bulk to get rid of all carbon consisting components like plastics.

Then, inquart the left over bulk so that it can be dissolved in AR. And follow the well known process of filtering precipitating and washing.

In this last step there is still sand in the bulk, I am not sure what it will do when I inquart, but from the acids I suspect no problems because siliciumdioxide will not react as it is the main component of glass.

Another approach of doing the refinement is to remove the Iron as said, but to just pan the remaining bulk out. The seperaition is then done by difference in density...

What do you guys think??

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    898 KB
I believe it would be okay to classify that as bench sweeps. Search the term "processing bench sweeps".

Jewellers refer to that as lemel, if it's magnetic it can be Pt as they use cobalt in the alloys, personally from the photo I don't think your looking at silver but white gold or PGMs.

4metals said:
5 grams is the sample or the entire job?
Hi 4metals, Thanks for your comment and link!
5 grams is just a sample ammount to try. I have done some refining on computer parts with succes and I use some of the knowledge I gain here in my chemistry lessons to make chemistry a bit more meaningfull for my students. I am a teacher in chemistry and the information that I get here is just fantastic. For me there is a lot to learn here and of course I was already starting to read Hooke.

The batch I can get is about 1 Kg of this stuff I'm trying to process.

Latest posts

Back