just some questions from a newb!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidhorton_001

So I have been doing a lot of research on gold refining and I have a couple of questions,

Can you refine plated gold the same as pins and chips?

is gold ore worth the trouble?

And how much gold can you yeild out of one ceramic chip?

I plan on collectiong as many chips and scrap gold as I can this spring and summer and refine next winter, I am new to the chemicals and process so I thought I would do as much studing as possible before I waste gold. So as much info as you guys can give me would be very helpful, thank you.

How much research did you do exactly? All the information you need is here on the forum. Use the search bar in the right corner of your screen. Sounds like you need to learn the most basics of basics though. I would type in "Hoke" for your very first search.

These are questions that I could not find a clear answer to, I will be doing alot of reading on this site trust me. I t just seems like everyone has a diff method and answers,

davidhorton_001 said:
These are questions that I could not find a clear answer to, I will be doing alot of reading on this site trust me. I t just seems like everyone has a diff method and answers,

Welcome to the forum!
There are few one way only methods or processes it all depends on the skill and knowledge of the operator and what chemicals or equipment they use. The basics are outlined fairly extensively on the forum and there is much discussion over other methods and processes, some are really only for professional set ups, and we have a fair few big players as members, and out of reach to most but there's plenty of ways to skin a cat and the membership is as good as your ever going to find anywhere. As stated read Hoke and download the forum handbooks and read also visit lasersteves site and you will soon be up to understanding the basics. Yields are a contentious point as it depends on the skill of the person doing the refining and the methodology employed, my advice get your own data based on what you can recover and check to see it seems in line with proper expectations.

davidhorton_001 said:
It just seems like everyone has a diff method and answers,

Yes, that is the answer.

Since no 2 people will process the exact same items as someone else, You need to know how each of the many processes work and what their limits are.

As an example, for your gold plated jewelery, I would recommend using the reverse electroplating cell. Though some will just dissolve in nitric, a big waste of chemicals in my opinion.

Also for the pins I would use the electrolytic cell again, Though some prefer using the AP method and others just nitric. The type of pins will dictate which methods will work and which will make a big mess.

As far as yields from ceramic chips their are as many numbers as their are processors times the number of people processing them, plus you also have to factor in how many are in a batch. As you see their is no real answer to this question, only some averages some have reported. But it doesn't mean you will get the same results either.

Telling you to read is the best way to help you learn. The members that will offer to help will expect you to fully understand the basics of refining as presented by C.M. HOKE, so you really need to read and understand this book and it is free to download.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your ventures.
Tom C.

davidhorton_001 said:

no - Definitely not.

especially if it has a LOT of gold in it.

the process of removing the gold can raise your blood pressure.

out of concern for your health, i will offer to act as custodian for any high-gold ores you may have.

davidhorton_001 said:
I hope you see the humor in my asking "how big is a rock?"

There's gold ore, then there's gold ore. You didn't specify which one.

Can the home refiner process ores that yield ¼ ounce per ton?

Well, in general, no.

How about 300 ounces/ton?

Yes! In fact, make that hell yes!

You must provide a lot more information before you can expect a reliable answer.

Mean time, busy yourself with reading Hoke's book so you gain a basic understanding of the processes involved. You'll spin your wheels too much if you rely on asking questions.

Harold

Latest posts

Back