just want to ask if i have all this right

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronix

hi, I'm new at this and would like to take this up as a hobby but before i do any of the actual work i want to make sure i have a sound understanding of this.

i am going to be extracting gold from cell phone circuits as well as processors and fingers. i have also been pulling any gold plated stuff off of motherboards and cell phones and keep them separate.

so after disassembling the phones i ended up with 1.55 pounds of cell boards populated. this is where I'm currently at in this process. if i understand properly these are the steps i will take to get to my gold (when I've saved up more material of course).

1 - depopulate boards with heat gun and banging inside a 5 gallon bucket.

2 - soak boards in 20% lye solution and apply heat to almost boiling, remove from heat and rinse board under water to remove mask, brush if needed.

3 - make AP solution to dissolve unwanted metals, and release foils. remove boards, let settle and decant and save foil. drop any present gold with SMB, filter and save for later.

4 - make HCL-CL dissolve gold foils, drop with SMB.

5 - wash and rinse powder, dry it.

6 - melt in crucible with borax.

is this right? is there any steps im missing? also i can only find sodium bisulphate or potassium metabisulphate will either of these work with the same amount added as SMB? i have read some of hokes book and am still reading it, so sorry if i offend anyone for asking a question someone else may have asked.

kronix

Your work methodology seems about right.
I would recommand you to limit the use of soaking boards in hot lye solution only to boards that are confirmed to have gold plating underneath the green solder mask. Hot lye solution is very vicious toward human flash.
Most Cell-phones/memory sticks do not employ gold plating under the green mask. A gentle scratch on each board will tell you.

i'll add. no need to add SMB to AP solution. if anything just digest more gold plated material with it. if you feel you need to try and get more gold from it your going to be disappointed. the amount of gold that gets dissolved in AP plates back out as soon as copper is exposed.

thank you for the advice! i have another question too lol. for all the little gold plated items like antenna receptacles and gold plated pins do i follow the same process? AP then HCL-CL?

Latest posts

Back