keeping out copper 1 chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddigger2

Hi all, I am just wondering how I can reduce the occurance of copper 1 chloride in my A/P solutions. Is it just a matter of keeping out water?

Thanks

No.

Copper I chloride is one of the forms that copper will take in the Acid Peroxide (AP) reaction. It is actually vital to the regeneration process of the copper II chloride which is the stuff that strips the copper.

Study the Copper Chloride document on my website to learn the details of the AP reaction.

The presence of copper I chloride is an indication the solution has become saturated with copper and requires oxidation (peroxide or air) in the presence of acid (HCl) and water. The good news is that when you have copper I chloride you can be fairly certain you will not have gold in solution. The bad news is that if you have copper saturation, the AP is no longer reactive until the copper I chloride is converted back to copper II chloride via oxidation.

In short the AP reaction will not progress without copper I chloride. The key is to recognize copper I chloride and to know how to perform the proper actions to :

1. Remove it from the gold: Use HCl to dissolve it from gold flakes and powder.
2. Regenerate the solution back to it's reactive state: Add oxygen in the presence of acid.
3. How to test for saturation with a few drops of water: White cloud = copper I chloride saturation.
4. What it looks like: White, Off-White, Gray, Brown, or Drab Green powder depending on the conditions it is formed in. It typically quickly settles to the bottom of the reaction container along with the values. In super saturated conditions it appears as ash gray to white crystals.

Steve

Latest posts

Back