Kovar lids etc.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have many you might consider a stripping cell.

A foot of 10 gauge stranded wire peeled and unwrapped you can hang all sorts of plated items.

Lino1406 said:
Why not HCl/H2O2 ?

Because if you do it with a cell you will have to deal with less fluids, it is quicker if you have a large quantity and are not use to nitric or AR. There will also be less of a mess to deal with and less chance of you loosing values if you are paitent and follow the guidelines and procedures laid out here on the forum.

For what its worth I see advantages and disadvantages to both.

However for someone new to this game I would favor Lino's comment. Using a stripping cell, dealing with concentrated sulfuric, and the sludge it creates, is not a beginner project.

Will dissolve it completely, together with gold, while H2O2 may lift most of the gold without complete dissolution of iron. HNO3 passivates iron

Gold dissolved in dirty AR there is always a risk of losses. It precipitates in very fine particles and very slowly.

What does report to the bottom carries enough base metal nitrates with it to digest a good percentage of your gold in the first HCL rinse.

kovar itself has to be worth something right? I mean cobalt is 48.00 a pound last I checked.

JIm

Everything is worth something to the right people.
Here is one website;
http://www.monicoalloys.com/kovar_scrap.html

Jim

Latest posts

Back