Labor saver ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldinsulator

Why would you not just dissolve the pins in these plastics in hcl/cl -- verses pulling them out with pliers or incineration then adding to hcl/cl or ap solution ?
I have read not to do it but why ?

Attachments

• 554961_445058462237410_163057184_n.jpg
    554961_445058462237410_163057184_n.jpg
    14.1 KB
gold gets caught in the holes or it will dissolves the plastic into a miserable goo. low heat bake (below the flash point 350F-400F) or pull the pins.

Best would be to leave them on the boards and sell them like that. but I'm in it for the money not the art. :lol: :lol:

Eric

gold gets caught in the holes or it will dissolves the plastic into a miserable goo. low heat bake (below the flash point 350F-400F) or pull the pins.

What will the low heat bake do ?

Another thing you could do is get a bench grinder with a protective shield to cover the grinder, yet has holes for both hands to go into, and grind away. After you're done grinding, if you have a magnet, you can pick up all of the pins, or at least 99%+ then discard the plastic.

If done that way, it'll be safer and cleaner, without and chemicals, nor the need to pull each pin out one at a time to get them done. On the other hand, depending on the connectors or pin components you're working with, you can take a screwdriver and split it lengthways and most of the pins will fall out within 10 seconds.

Kevin

thanks
tried a screw driver and cutting with razor knife (kevlar gloves) .

well i do have a rather large toaster oven 1/4 size of a regular oven and I already am using a crock pot. guess time to try baking them.

so far the girlfriend hasnt seen me using such things hehehehe .
her being a great cook i would hate to go back to cooking for myself.

The way you unsoldered those connectors was wrong. You should remove the plastic while the connector is still soldered to the board, THEN unsolder the pins. That way you get plastic-free contacts.
Check out my vids on how to remove those contacts:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M08A1Eexo4&feature=share&list=UUfLyhY6QoK7lThHYKvxt4gA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzpZKSEwefc&feature=share&list=UUfLyhY6QoK7lThHYKvxt4gA[/youtube]

What´s more: Those contacts yield very low. They are +95% copper. If you try to use HCL+CL leach you will get a mess. The copper will reprecipitate any gold dissolved and plate it back on remaining copper surfaces. The only way would be to put them in an AP solution or use the electrolytic cell. But dont expect too much with this kind of material.

resabed01 said:
If you are going to cook plastics in your toaster oven, don't think about ever using again for food.

Nope no more toater oven pizza rolls or corn beef and sauerkraut in the crock pot.

Latest posts

Back