LCD scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlead

Are there any recoverable, valuable metals in LCD screens / monitors? I am seeing more and more of these going to the trash heap.

Could not tell you, I've never went after indium from mixed oxides before, just its sulfate.

They have about 1 pound of number 2 copper in each screen that's about all I can scrap from them. The rest I give to the recycle yard. But this is for CTR monitors not LCD's.

cypher i can help with this because Ive done tons of these literal tons .
the copper there talking about is in monitors and its in several different places one being on the yoke of the screen . the other part is around the screen found at the bottom and sometimes under the screen so you'll have to take the screws out in order to get to the copper . this rope is taped with black electrical tape . now on the circuit board there's copper , and aluminum .
if you need any more help with this please (pm) me

I've found gold in laptop LCD screens. If you look real close or with a magnifying glass you'll see gold wires running around three sides of the board (nec versa s/33 and an old compaq). Fine as a hair, but quite a bit of it. I haven't processed any yet partly due to time and partly because its sealed under some kind of silicone. I'm still in the gathering, learning stage. Thanks to this site and the people on it I feel for the first time that I can actually successfully process the stuff I've hoarded. I've been reading and watching and rereading and rewatching. All I can say is
THANK YOU! This forum and you guys rock!
K

kelly said:
I've found gold in laptop LCD screens. If you look real close or with a magnifying glass you'll see gold wires running around three sides of the board (nec versa s/33 and an old compaq). Fine as a hair, but quite a bit of it. I haven't processed any yet partly due to time and partly because its sealed under some kind of silicone. I'm still in the gathering, learning stage. Thanks to this site and the people on it I feel for the first time that I can actually successfully process the stuff I've hoarded. I've been reading and watching and rereading and rewatching. All I can say is
THANK YOU! This forum and you guys rock!
K

Gold around three side of the screens, hmm.
I have several LCD screens at the shop, I will tear into a few tomorrow and see what I can find.

I am referring to the flat panel LCD screens like are on laptops, not the CRT or big TV style monitors.

I took one of these apart today, was pretty simple to do. Yes it appears that there are tiny gold wires running along the edges of the glass & possibly making a grid inside of the glass. There were also two pieces of PC board in there that have a small line of gold plated fingers running the length of them. I will try to post some detailed pictures of it later.

To answer the original question, YES! There IS gold in there! :lol:

Brauer says indium can be electroplated from a solution of indium sulfate. Platinum gauze or foil anode, 20-35C temp, 10mA/cm^2 current density. "Smooth deposition is aided by hourly addition of 1ml of 1% gelatin or carpenter's glue solution per liter of electrolyte."

Probably suffices to peel apart the glass panes, wash away the liquid crystal and dye stuff, then leach the ITO with acid.

Tim

This picture shows the rows of gold plated fingers on the boards taken from the edges of the screen.

1.jpg

This photo shows the boards still attached. The thin gold wires run along two sides of the glass, that's the only obvious gold I could find. You need a magnifying glass to see them.

3.jpg

Back