Learning Curve

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbroadway

Hi All,

I found this forum a few days ago as I am looking to start recovering Gold from mainly E waste.

I have found the tutorials on all the different process and am learning what chemicals and processes I would need to do but I am having trouble and I have searched the forum for a list of basic equipment like beakers... what people would recommend is purchased to begin this interesting venture.

the other question I have is as I am collecting from e waste I am finding it difficult to tell the difference between gold plated items and brass the only thing I am going on at the moment is colour... and I know that's not ideal, if anyone could advise me on what the best method is that would be great.

I look forward to learning more and eventually giving it a go myself

Jak

Jak welcome to the forum, I normally tell gold by color also, I have also learned to test to verify.

My suggestion I would begin with Hoke's book (or both her books she also has a great book on testing), this and reading the forum using the search engine.

Most of my lab equipment you can find in your local second-hand store in the kitchen section, I have lab glassware that I rarely use. a beaker or labware maybe in later processes of refining or certain operations..., and some common labware I will use quite often.

At this point I wouldn't be concerned with what chemicals to buy or what labware to get, that will come easily as you study, then you can see what you need and learn what will work so you can choose wisely for yourself, whether a Corning kitchen dish or a chemistry lab beaker or just a mason jar would be the best choice for you in a certain procedure. and if you really need an item before you rush out and buy it, can I make one?

Hi Butcher,

Thanks for the welcome :) I am currently reading hokes book and must say its very simple to read and understand... I have also been reading and watching lots on the tutorials part of the forum which is very useful :). I am not working to much about what chemicals I need just yet because I am getting a variety of different gold scrap so will need to do more than one process I think, at present I have collected a nice amount of ram/boards that I need to harvest the fingers from (will probably be my learning source) I have some pins and have access to a lot more if they have decent gold content and am also harvesting what looks like kt scrap but am not sure and don't currently have a test kit to see if it is or not it dents and scratches easy but that's all I know right now.

I also have access to a weee recycle facility at work :)

Thanks for the advice

Thanks

Jak

Finding where the gold is, and learning how to separate it from the bulk material, sorting types of materials (which require different processes, learning how to test, studying Hoke's book and the forum. studying safety and the dangers involved. Learning to properly deal with waste. You are Off to a good start in getting that gold, at this point collecting and study are going to get you closer to your goal than dumping chemicals on metals would. You are on the right track. Keep collecting and enjoy the research the gold will be there when you are ready.

butcher said:
Finding where the gold is, and learning how to separate it from the bulk material, sorting types of materials (which require different processes, learning how to test, studying Hoke's book and the forum. studying safety and the dangers involved. Learning to properly deal with waste. You are Off to a good start in getting that gold, at this point collecting and study are going to get you closer to your goal than dumping chemicals on metals would. You are on the right track. Keep collecting and enjoy the research the gold will be there when you are ready.

I don't think there is much I can add to that - except to say that is some VERY good advice & very well presented

Study & research goes a loooong ways in reducing the curve of learning when you move to actual application

Kurt

Thanks Guys,

That's exactly my plan, I dont want to just rush in waste time/money/safety on processes and things that is not needed.

How to pick and select the right scrap is a big one for me right now... I am cutting the fingers off some circuit boards and am wondering whether to keep the boards for the chips on them or throw them...

knowing which item goes into which pile for whatever process I will be using is another 1... its a big learning curve and have found some useful information on here and will continue researching, scrapping and collecting...

Jak

Latest posts

Back