LITTLE HELP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kole55

Hello! I read all the posts about the processing of IC chips. I think that it is never mentioned that using NaOH (sodium hydroxide or caustic soda). Last night I looked at some video on you tube where the guy in the dust of chips adds NaOH and boiled it for about an hour. After rinsing it remains only metal pins and gold dust. I do not think a lot of these videos on you tube (most believe this forum) and I have a question if anyone saw or was sent in to this little clarify whether this is the correct procedure and that the negative things, if any. thanks a lot for your answers.

He is using the sodium hydroxide to remove the silica chip material. It is well known that concentrated solution of sodium hydroxide will dissolve glass. It will also remove any aluminum. This step is a personal preference and is not necessary. The silica is not dissolved by the chemicals used to dissolve the gold. I do not agree with his assertion that you lose 2/3 of the bonding wires by panning. I pan chip material and did my own test to see what was getting past the pan. I didn't reclaim enough to even give a positive test with stannous chloride overnight. If you want to add extra steps to the finished product, you could do worse I suppose but it's not something I would want to do. Hot concentrated sodium hydroxide is as dangerous as hot sulfuric acid. One drop of hot sodium hydroxide can leave you blind in just a moment. One drop of hot concentrated sodium hydroxide can dissolve skin right through the dermis into the subcutaneous very quickly.

Thank you very much . I have not even been used NaOH because I know that is dangerous especially if it is not absolutely necessary. I just wanted to check. All the best in your life.

Thank you for sharing! I sometimes wondered if conc NaOH would dissolve the fine SiO2 powder within shorter time but never tried. The interesting thing is, as far as no lead is involved, no problematic compounds will be produced, only sodium silicate. I doubt this method makes things easier, it is just an other way to reach the goal.

It might be a way to treat the fine white ashes of incinerated glucose test strips (if only SiO2 was used as a filler). In this case panning is no option and it is hard to leach and filter.

Latest posts

Back