Magnetic Pins?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked it this morning and on the pins there is a black/ gray powder. What is this? I am wondering if i need to filter everything out and start over with muratic and an air bubbler. Thanks Kobe

copperkid_18 said:
I just checked it this morning and on the pins there is a black/ gray powder. What is this? I am wondering if i need to filter everything out and start over with muratic and an air bubbler. Thanks Kobe

That is possibly your gold percipitating out on the copper. Let the solution run it's course. Your solution should be starting to turn brown because of the disolving of the copper. Paitence.

Can you post a current picture.

Oz, there was some say 0.4-0.5l of H2O2 in about 5l of HCl which I put there many weeks ago when I started experimenting with AP. Everytime when I process fingers in that solution it turned chocolate brown/black bit when foils and clean fingers removed after few days it become emerald green again. When I am filtering foils I often end up with fine black powder on my filter which is not dissolving in HCl. I suspect that this is probably gold so I am saving these for processing later when there will be more of them in jar :)...

What I found strange is that even that I am washing clean foils 2-3 times with water and HCl and storing them in jar where I put say 0.1l oh HCl they are nice shiny but after few days HCl turns little bit green again. I am decanting this HCl back to AP bucket and adding fresh one to my foils. That I am repeating and I did that about 6 times already. I am planning to process bit more in one go becouse I do not want rice size buton but rather halfpounder one. :) No I am joking but I just like to watch foils and powder like gold swirling around in jar. Pat.

Barren, I am not a big fan of adding H2O2 to rush things up. Pins are there say 3 days. Let them sit there longer. They will disolve and most of the gold not. Adding too much of H2O2 will put gold into solution.

patnor1011 said:
Barren, I am not a big fan of adding H2O2 to rush things up. Pins are there say 3 days. Let them sit there longer. They will disolve and most of the gold not. Adding too much of H2O2 will put gold into solution.

I agree 100%, if it were me I would not have added it, I would have just used the HCL and let her rip.

copperkid_18 said:
Is there any way to recover the gold that dissolved?

If your solution has gold dissolved in it reuse the soution on your next batch of items to process and when your solution becomes saturated with copper it will drop your gold as very fine black powder.

As long as you still have copper metal in solution the gold will plate out of solution, and some copper will dissolve copper ions will replace the gold in solution.

Have patience now until the process is done. You will test for gold in solution when you are done. Butcher and Barren also have told you that copper will push the gold out of solution, so have patience and test when you are done. It may all work out on its own if you give it enough time. AP needs time, you can't really rush it.
Jim

AP is quite interesting thing. I dissolved all gold in AP. I made AP vith 50% peroxide. I tryed to put this thing quite few but result was that ewerything was dissolved. Next time I try 3% peroxide. In my coutry cost 50% peroxide 5 time less than medic grade from store. This was reason why I used so strong peroxide.

Latest posts

Back