Making a solid TIN Metal?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be possible it is oxidizeng from air under the heat, many metals will do this, try again using carbon (wood chips, flour, charcoal and so on) the carbon will absorb oxygen making CO2 gas.

But I'm already using carbon. I don't have a melting plate so I use carbonize wood instead. Can you please explain more clearly, Do I need to add carbon to the Tin powder or I will use carbon instead of flame to heat it?

if you have a charcoal fire that shoud absorb the oxygen, unless you are adding oxygen with a torch, or bellows.

how hot are you getting metals? not hot enough will not melt , and too hot can burn them up to vapors.

a charcoal fire may need air (bellows or fan) to get it up to temperature to melt metals, this extra air can oxidize the metals, say I wanted to melt some copper powder in my forge, I would use a reducing flux like borax, crushed glass and flour as a reducer, mixing these with my copper powder, and covering this with a layer of flux to help protect from air That I blow into the coal to get the heat I need to melt the mass.

I have not looked into the melting temperature of tin, and am only speculating that it will oxidize easily as it is a fairly reactive metal. sorry I have not tried to melt tin by itself, but tin sure helps to melt copper into bronze.

w0lvez said:
I have a Tin metal powder, I tried heating but nothing happens. It won't form a solid inggot.

hi

I hope you dont mind me asking why are you needing this solid inggot...? what are going to do with the inggot....might have an alternative answer....

the flux just makes slag glass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin
notice low melting point and that it easily oxidizes with heat, sorry I just scanned this and have not read it.

pgm said:
I hope you dont mind me asking why are you needing this solid inggot...? what are going to do with the inggot....might have an alternative answer....

Nothing, I'm just wondering how others can make a pure tin bar.

butcher said:
the flux just makes slag glass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin
notice low melting point and that it easily oxidizes with heat, sorry I just scanned this and have not read it.

Wikipedia says Tin forms the dioxide SnO2 (cassiterite) when it is heated in the presence of air.

Thanks, covering it with flux is the solution like what you have said earlier

Latest posts

Back