Making nitric acid some thing went wrong need help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

79corvette

I was making a batch of nitric acid with sodium nitrate and surfic acid when I add the acid to the nitrate it started to turn to a thick semisolid mess with a liquid on top what is this and were did I go wrong the acid is 98% pure and the nitrate is lab grade please help

before someone with shorter sentences comes along, let me ask you the questions they will want:
what have you done so far? (you have sodium nitrate and sulfuric acid, but what were the circumstances of mixing them? was there heat? do you need medical attention? every bit of info helps)
pictures help a lot
was the semisolid mess clear/whitish? I suspect it's sodium nitrate. possibly sodium sulfate, but that would mean the experiment worked which I doubt happened if you're having problems.
please tell me you're at least doing this outside with a face mask and gloves

did you add water? water is the medium the acid is produced in.

scrappile, i lurked on the forum for three months before i joined.

sodium nitrate NaNO3 plus sulfuric acid H2SO4, will make nitric acid HNO3 and a salt of sodium sulfate Na2SO4.

2NaNO3 + H2SO4 --> 2HNO3 + Na2SO4

Ratios of the sodium nitrate and sulfuric acid and water involved, along with how heat was used in the reaction will be the determining factors of what you end up with.

Why can't I see any posts will you ask ?
It's because you need to register prior to see posts and reply to them. We don't want anyone to come, steal information and resell it on ebay.

Tons of information and tutorials await you !

I couldn't lurk ----sorry if i have rubbed anyone the wrong way ,

edit to add

must just be me,

Users browsing this forum: scrappile and 1 guest at bottom of page :shock:

Sorry for taking so long to reply I took 250ml water heated to boil added 400g sodium nitrate no nitrate remained cooled down below boiling added 150ml of acid when I did a white/off yellow stuff formed on bottom with a yellowish liquid on top cooled down again in a ice bath out side for 4 hrs filtered off all the liquid is this nitric acid how will I be able to tell all safety measures were taken is there any thing I missed or should done different

Put a small amount in a test tube and drop in a little piece of copper. If the copper starts to react (bubble and dissolve) and the liquid turns blue, you have some concentration of nitric acid. The faster the reaction, the higher concentration of acid.

TomVader said:
Put a small amount in a test tube and drop in a little piece of copper. If the copper starts to react (bubble and dissolve) and the liquid turns blue, you have some concentration of nitric acid. The faster the reaction, the higher concentration of acid.

up to a certain point.concentrated nitric acid (68%) will react to copper very slowly at first. its only after it builds some heat does the reaction really take off. the acid,being so strong, will passivate a thin coating of metal oxide. the nitric most fight its way through the oxidized layer to attack it further. the easiest way to get around the effect is to either dilute the acid or warm it.

A Quick Way to make Aqua Regia Which is just as good as nitric acid
Is adding Sodium nitrate to Hydrochloric Acid i usually just add enough until it stops dissolving in the solution

I as well lurked for several weeks before posting. You lurk by using google. I kept doing searches on how to refine stuff, make nitric, where to buy chemicals, etc. this forum kept popping up so I thought I'd stick around. I had everything planned out and ready to go before even posting. I believe my first post was something along the same lines and process as corvette, but I think my question was more "my homemade nitric doesn't dissolve silver"

That sounds pretty nearly the procedure I did. Little different numbers, but close. sulfuric should be added very slowly, and keep track of the temperature - stop adding sulfuric if it gets close to boiling, and stir constantly.
As the solution is cooled, sodium sulfate will precipitate out of solution (eventually bring it all the way to -20ºC, which is a typical freezer's temperature). After that happens, that's when you decant the liquid through a filter
yellow liquid sounds promising (yellow tint comes from NOx gasses dissolved in it)

a couple ways I know of to distinguish nitric from sulfuric acid:
- see what it dissolves. does it dissolve silver? copper? iron?
- put a small amount (less than a ml) in a small beaker (I have this adorable 10 ml borosilicate beaker that would be perfect for this). with proper safety precautions (acid fumes are VERY toxic), apply heat so it evaporates the liquid without boiling, keep it under 100ºC. When it stops evaporating, observe it. I would expect some crystals (sodium sulfate has low solubility, but not 0, also maybe some sodium nitrate left). If there is still liquid, that liquid is sulfuric acid (sulfuric does not vaporize near water's boiling point). If no liquid, the nitric evaporated.

Also, you should know that the nitric you make is not very suitable for dissolving silver. there will be sodium sulfate left in there, which will react with silver nitrate to form solid silver sulfate

Latest posts

Back