Making nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no1special

Just a double check here. For the following formula:

Reaction:

-Bring 100 mL of Distilled Water in a 500 mL pyrex beaker to 100 C
-Add the Nitre of your choice (202 gm K / 170 gm Na)
-Stir until Nitre is completely dissolved, let cool below boiling
-SLOWLY add 56 mL conc (96%+) Sulfuric Acid to Hot Nitre solution while stirring, DON'T allow the solution to boil!
-Allow solution to cool to room temp (DO NOT SKIP - VESSEL WILL SHATTER IF PUT ON ICE WHILE HOT!!!)
-When vessel reaches room temp (25 °C) put the vessel in the freezer or on a salt water ice bath
-Let stand until temperature of mixture reaches -5 °C
-Let stand at -5 °C until all precipitate settles
-Pour the COLD solution off into glass container with tightly sealed lid DO NOT POUR OFF ANY OF THE SALT IN THE BOTTOM!!!
-Makes ~160 mL ~50% HNO3

I can use ammonium nitrate (cold pack or fertilizer) and Roto drain cleaner correct?
SAFTEY FIRST... THEN TEAMWORK

just so you know. it is very hard to remove all the salt from the nitric acid using the one pot method. if you are planning on using this nitric acid for silver refining, im afraid you will find that silver chloride will form every time you use it. i tried the one pot method in the hopes of obtaining a steady source of nitric acid to process silver but this major flaw in the process excluded the possibility. i believe the flaw lies in the water in the solution. it will hold a certain amount of salt even after freezing.

Geo, if he use amonium nitrate, pure sulfuric acid(free of chloride/chlorine), and demineralized water free of chloride/chlorine. he should not have the problem you faced...

ericrm said:
Geo, if he use ammonium nitrate, pure sulfuric acid(free of chloride/chlorine), and demineralized water free of chloride/chlorine. he should not have the problem you faced...

Unless he is using a trace grade ammonium nitrate, and sulfuric acid, you cannot be sure what is in it. This will increase the coast 3X at least. I believe ammonium nitrate still contains chlorides.

It will be cheaper to buy nitric in the long run. 98% sulfuric acid is around $30 usd a gallon from plumbing store. With time and learning curve the price will be similar and you have an inferior product.

lots of posts on this http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=nitric+homemade

Eric

well, was able to find stump remover and followed directions, but before it was cool enough to put in freezer, it completly solidified with no liquid remaining. where did i go wrong???

The potassium (sulfate) salts can crystallize so fast they trap your nitric acid in solution into those crystals, try re-dissolving the salts, and letting the solution cool slower this time, lowering the heat more slowly, also decanting the solution from the salts before it is cold can help (more salts will form in this solution as it is colder), I have had potassium sulfate salts that I would add water to later and get more nitric acid from them, just a little more dilute but very useable.

Using sodium nitrate the salts of sodium sulfate are not as bad at doing what you see here.

At first I would not add much water (it may not be needed), warm the slurry of crystals on a hot plate, the nitric will most like appear on top of the pottasium sulfate salts.

Latest posts

Back