Melting Help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajiv_u

Hello Friends

This is Rajiv from India. I have joined the GRF a few days ago, done a lot of studying, studied Hoke's book and found very useful answers to mostly all my questions . Thanks a lot to all the folks who have been associated with the forum.

Now i have done some batches of treating fingers using Hcl/cl process ( Special Thanks to Steve) and successfully collected around 5.5 gms of gold powder without any problem.

Now I want to melt the gold powder and get it checked for purity so that I may consider my work as a SUCCESS. The question is I have these crucibles (pics attached), are they the perfect ones to be used for melting Gold using a Muffle furnace ?

Regards

Rajiv

Attachments

• 17370.jpg
    17370.jpg
    36.3 KB
I will let another member answer your question,

I just wanted to say great job, we need more members like you, and to follow your example.

welcome to the forum.

butcher said:
I will let another member answer your question,

I just wanted to say great job, we need more members like you, and to follow your example.

welcome to the forum.

Thanks a lot butcher.

Regards

Rajiv

Those look like graphite crucibles they should be good to melt gold in if the gold was fairly pure and did not need fluxing, these crucibles are more expensive than the clay type and you would not want to damage them with flux, if melting impure gold or using flux I would get the cheaper clay crucibles.

I am not any expert on this, so another member who knows more on this subject can give you a better answer about which crucible to use and when.

I find the small clay melting dishes (like a small bowl) and a torch work very well for me to melt gold in these dishes are very cheap to buy.

Rajiv welcome to the forum and I wish more members that join took your lead and did some studying before posting endless questions.
To your question, I have used those crucibles all my life in the gold business and they are excellent if treated carefully as they are not cheap. They work well in a furnace but do not like the flame blasting directly on them it shortens their usefull life, try to match the crucible to the amount you wish to melt.
Treat them well and they last a long time but using aggressive fluxes will shorten their life, if I have to heavily flux jobs I have an old crucible that I use until it becomes too thin.

Most of those type crucibles that people call graphite are actually clay/graphite. I've used a lot of them in gas crucible furnaces. Good resistance to fluxes.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies.

The thing is clear that these crucibles will be OK.

Thanks once again

Regards

Rajiv

I wouldn't use a cleaning flux if your using a clay/graphite crucible may work but never has for me.
Cleaning flux will try and clean the graphite and is not a fun experience. If you have a ton of heat the graphite will seperate above your prill though.

Latest posts

Back