metajunkfite or green

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callicom

i disolved my pin in ap, i washed many times in hcl, then in clean hcl i put bleach and it melted all the gold, i filtered and did a stanous (its black) so i sprinkled sodium metabisulfite and stirred as i was sprinkling to drop the gold :?: but :?: all the metabisulfite went to the bottom and the gold all stayed in the solution :shock: so i filtered the solution again and i tested again and it`s still black. i`m thinking i got robbed and was sold metajunkfite or most likely i missed something. i need help :mrgreen:

How long did you wait after you mixed the Hcl and bleach before you tried to drop the gold?

You got free chlorine in solution probably, which is the oxidizer that won't allow your gold to drop. Gold won't drop with excess oxidizer in solution. Try heating it for about 15 minutes to get rid of the cl and then try it.

yes you told me or mayby it was geo to let it sit 24 hours to let the bleach evaporate before i drop the gold :oops: i see this chemistry is very touchy, i`m more of a 2x4 type(rough carpentry) but i`m realy enjoying this and i actualy find it amazing to be able to treat gold like ice that you would melt and freeze again. i`m rading hokes but its going to take a while to read, thanks a lot for the help

Melting gold with acid?
In the interests of correct terminology you dissolve gold in acid not MELT.
Melting is a thermal process, dissolving is a chemical process.

I saw no mention of you diluting your solution with water before dropping with SMB. At minimum double the solution volume with tap or distilled water. Then do your final filtration. Then add your SMB. These steps haven't failed me yet.

Mike

no actualy there is very litte water , mayby a spoon full, you say half and half, yes i`ll add water also, thanks. i`m being over cautious because my first trial was a disaster, i have about 2 cups of solution wich consists of whole pins desolved in nitric which i then put all in ar and finaly tried to drop with table salt, to make it short it looks like a lime slurpy :lol: i just put it to the side until i figure out what to do.

callicom---

Table salt? You said above that you used SMB.

Table salt can drop silver chloride out of a nitric solution, but it won't precipitate Au from AR.

This is starting to sound kind of silly.

its not something that cant be fixed.take your AR solution and dilute with 50% water then place a piece of copper in the solution. don't use wire or pipe (its a pain to scrape off) use a piece of buss bar or other flat piece of copper sheet. that will cement all PM's out of solution.if time isn't an issue just leave in for several days then pull the copper out and decant as much as you can without disturbing powder on the bottom, then filter the last bit to reclaim your gold. rinse and incinerate (i use a tuna can that has no lip) on your hot plate. if you use a metal can be sure to burn it first and wash using steel wool. then dry your powder and move on to hcl+cl to dissolve.

eeTHr said:
callicom---

Table salt? You said above that you used SMB.

Table salt can drop silver chloride out of a nitric solution, but it won't precipitate Au from AR.

This is starting to sound kind of silly.
yea now that i know a little more it is silly but i was going a lot of mixed info from youtube

Geo said:
its not something that cant be fixed.take your AR solution and dilute with 50% water then place a piece of copper in the solution. don't use wire or pipe (its a pain to scrape off) use a piece of buss bar or other flat piece of copper sheet. that will cement all PM's out of solution.if time isn't an issue just leave in for several days then pull the copper out and decant as much as you can without disturbing powder on the bottom, then filter the last bit to reclaim your gold. rinse and incinerate (i use a tuna can that has no lip) on your hot plate. if you use a metal can be sure to burn it first and wash using steel wool. then dry your powder and move on to hcl+cl to dissolve.
i got just the piece of copper your talking about, i'll start the process tonight. thanks again

The steel can to incinerate in is a bad Idea.

"rinse and incinerate (i use a tuna can that has no lip) on your hot plate. if you use a metal can be sure to burn it first and wash using steel wool. "

Unless you intend to dissolve the steel can you will loose values, and even dissolving the steel would be a bad idea.

Your values would plate out onto steel and gold can be lost,

Use stainless steel your corrosion of it would be less, attack of steel would be less and gold loss minimized.

Also if you are incinerating a chloride powder (metals dissolved using Hydrochloric as an ingredient), these salts can be acidic, neutralizing them with sodium hydroxide (NaOH), and rinsing well with water before incineration, helps in two ways,

it helps to remove the acidic component (these acidic salts actually becomes more acidic as the heating of incineration progresses) and it converts chloride powders to oxides and hydroxides of these metals,

And rinsing well also helps to remove the salt water we formed from the chloride salts and the sodium hydroxide,

As heating gold chloride or salt in an incineration process can make some of the gold volatile and escape in the smoke formed in the incineration process as HCL or chlorine gas formed escapes.

Also starting with low heat at the beginning of the incineration process is a good idea, it helps to drive off water (or chemically combined water) and the volatile gasses that form from the heat (made from our acids or salts), helping to remove them from powders minimizing value loss in smoke, helps to dry these powders and minimizes bubbling as splashing another way to loose values, once these salts fuse then I bring up the temperature until the powders glow red hot, keep them red hot crushing any clumps stirring and getting as much air or oxygen exposure as possible.

I hope this is understandable as after working all day, I may be too tired to be posting my rambling thoughts.

butcher said:
The steel can to incinerate in is a bad Idea.

"rinse and incinerate (i use a tuna can that has no lip) on your hot plate. if you use a metal can be sure to burn it first and wash using steel wool. "

Unless you intend to dissolve the steel can you will loose values, and even dissolving the steel would be a bad idea.

Your values would plate out onto steel and gold can be lost,

Use stainless steel your corrosion of it would be less, attack of steel would be less and gold loss minimized.

Also if you are incinerating a chloride powder (metals dissolved using Hydrochloric as an ingredient), these salts can be acidic, neutralizing them with sodium hydroxide (NaOH), and rinsing well with water before incineration, helps in two ways,

it helps to remove the acidic component (these acidic salts actually becomes more acidic as the heating of incineration progresses) and it converts chloride powders to oxides and hydroxides of these metals,

And rinsing well also helps to remove the salt water we formed from the chloride salts and the sodium hydroxide,

As heating gold chloride or salt in an incineration process can make some of the gold volatile and escape in the smoke formed in the incineration process as HCL or chlorine gas formed escapes.

Also starting with low heat at the beginning of the incineration process is a good idea, it helps to drive off water (or chemically combined water) and the volatile gasses that form from the heat (made from our acids or salts), helping to remove them from powders minimizing value loss in smoke, helps to dry these powders and minimizes bubbling as splashing another way to loose values, once these salts fuse then I bring up the temperature until the powders glow red hot, keep them red hot crushing any clumps stirring and getting as much air or oxygen exposure as possible.

I hope this is understandable as after working all day, I may be too tired to be posting my rambling thoughts.

thanks Butcher.i did find a stainless 4 quart sauce pan to incinerate in after i discovered i was generating more waste than something small could handle.i do dry all material first before incinerating but never thought about neutralizing the acid first.

I like a corning ware (not positive of brand or name) baking dish, or the skillets white or amber glass made for stove tops, these have held up very well to the torture I put them under, they do not corrode (unless too strong caustic is heated), and they stand up to my Mapp gas torch and hotplate.

I believe GSP has made some comments in another post about brands or the names of these.

The stainless steel did not hold up as well to my torture chambers.

Geo think of what happens when you put silver chloride to the torch, (you watch your silver go up in white smoke), now think what happens when you melt the silver oxide (slowly at first).

when neutralizing and washing well the gold you can help to lower any chances for generating chlorine or chloride gases (formed from the chemical reactions of the heating process) to carry off some gold.

I have noticed with some powders even after neutralizing well and good washes that when tin is involved with gold (in chloride salts) the gasses rising from my incineration dish that hit the cooler sides of the dish will leave a purple of cassius color just like our stannous chloride test for gold, (only thing is this is a small amount of my gold going up in this violet smokes.

as i deal with mostly Escrap i always have tin chloride in my filters.i dont even try to seperate things like Qtips and paper towels,i just put everything in as it comes out.at first it was just a gallon ziplok bag in a week and now its a 30 gallon trash bag in a week,but i do tend to go heavy on the paper towels for wiping up after a process is finished.

Latest posts

Back