Mil-spec Audio Jack recovery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 10 kgs of mil spec audio jacks. They have gold plated inner sleeves, a yellow plastic middle sleeve with a threaded mount that may be made of tin on the outside. They are all fresh out of manufacturers bag from 1981-83 so there is no additional solder or wire to deal with. I am not at all sure what process to use to recover the gold. Has anyone been successful with these or a similar part like a banana jack? I am open the suggestions!

Milspec Jack.jpg

Thanks in advance.
PMD

How do you know it's milspec? If they are what I think they are, stripping will not work. There are two options with material like this. 1. Remove the gold from the base metal. 2. Remove the base metal from the gold. Since there is gold in under the base metal away from where the acid can reach, 1 is not an option. So 2 it is. I would recommend copper(II) chloride leach leaving gold foils or, if it's an option for you, nitric acid which is much faster.

Geo,
The label on some of the bags say MIL-C-39024 10B or MIL-C-39024 10C and those lead to specs that look much like the picture above:

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/datasheet/1050207200.aspx?p=11276053

Is that helpful?

Those are tip jacks, and worth more to an electronics type than any gold you may recover. Raytheon, HH Smith/Abbatron, EF Johnson, and Pomona all made these, but the all-metal body is a premium, that of course, met a mil requirement.

A buck-22 new....http://www.talonix.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=9956

Sell them on ebay and save the grief.

I agree with selling them as is. They are worth more money as components than gold recovery. I understand that we scrap some things that are still useful just for the experience. If you want to process them, my advice is still the same. If you are wanting to make money, sell them on Ebay. Just keep in mind that they charge a percentage as fees so price them accordingly.

"I agree with selling them as is. They are worth more money as components than gold recovery."

I still smile when I see posts like this. It reminds me of when I first started on this forum when every piece of
e-scrap or electronics looked so all golden and shiny. I couldn't understand why the good people here would
always say sell them instead of process and refine them yourself.

BUT IT'S GOLD!!! I would always find myself saying to myself.

What cured me of this was when I first started processing and refining and kept reading and studying here.
I quickly found out that my time and the material costs made chasing after tiny amounts of gold ridiculous.
But no one could tell me that. We don't listen because it's all so golden and shiny. I'm more seasoned now
and definitely VERY willing to read and listen to the sage advice freely offered here.

So ends my thought for the day. I now return you to the original post. 8)

This forum and the wise elders have:
-Taught me damn near everything I know about gold recovery.
-Helped me with each mistake as I made it.
-Saved me from hurting myself multiple times
-Made me thousands of dollars in gold I have sold or traded.

These connectors will be on eBay soon.

Thank you once again for the sage advice!
PMD

Latest posts

Back