Mini drum de-plater

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it was a fun exercise, a failure but still fun.
I got the drum speed to a level I desired and had some time today to run a batch of pins..
The drum sort of works, it does de-plate, but very slow and the drum itself is putting a lot of heat into the solution, likely due to the faraday effect. The small scale test I did shows it works only problem is I neglected to run the cage without anything inside to see what kind of current it would draw empty. If I had done that I could have saved myself a little trouble.
I still see it as a great learning exercise and know what my next step will be. I'll fabricate a plastic/nylon drum with contact strips or danglers in it.
Hope someone else can pick up a few tidbits from my failure.
I'll update again if I can ever find some suitable screen material.

Tom.

Kilroy2k1 said:
Well it was a fun exercise, a failure but still fun.
I got the drum speed to a level I desired and had some time today to run a batch of pins..
The drum sort of works, it does de-plate, but very slow and the drum itself is putting a lot of heat into the solution, likely due to the faraday effect. The small scale test I did shows it works only problem is I neglected to run the cage without anything inside to see what kind of current it would draw empty. If I had done that I could have saved myself a little trouble.
I still see it as a great learning exercise and know what my next step will be. I'll fabricate a plastic/nylon drum with contact strips or danglers in it.
Hope someone else can pick up a few tidbits from my failure.
I'll update again if I can ever find some suitable screen material.

Tom.

Failures are not failures but more of a learning curve that drives mankind to the brink of success. If we don't try we will never know, just take what you've learned and get it right the next time. I applaud you for your efforts it's an interesting concept.

Thanks, it was definitely a learning curve and a rather fun project to build as well.

Sorry Jack it was posted on picpaste and has expired, if and when I find a suitable material to make another one I'll post more permanent pictures of the project.

I've gone through the chemical resistance sheets of a few plastics and there is a pretty short list of what can stand up to concentrated sulfuric at 100F temps so I have little faith I will find something to work with and for a one time deal I cant justify the thousand plus costs of a professional drum.

I just may have to bite the bullet and AP all 24lbs .. :cry:
Thanks again for the input and encouragement.
Tom.

Latest posts

Back